Tempe Police: Woman bites officer when he tries to take away pipe

Police Beat photo

The Tempe Police station, which is located on Fifth Avenue near College Avenue. 

Tempe Police reported the following incidents Sunday:

A Mesa woman was arrested Oct. 25 on the 800 Block of South Mill Avenue on suspicion of aggravated assault of an officer, resisting arrest, possession of drug paraphernalia and two accounts of having an outstanding warrant, according to a police report.

During a confrontation with police, the woman was recognized as someone who frequents the area, police reported. The officer ran an outstanding warrants check and found she had two felony warrants for violating probation, according to the report.

The woman was double locked in handcuffs and detained, police reported.

After she was detained she removed a blue glass pipe with burnt marijuana residue on it from her right pants pocket, according to the report.

The woman then became belligerent and walked away from officers with the pipe still in her hand, police reported.

The officers tried to stop her and she began flailing her legs resisting police, police reported. They eventually had to pin her to the ground, according to the report. She continued to flail both her legs and body, refusing to give up the pipe, police reported. 

After she wouldn’t stop, the officers placed her in hobble restraints, tying her hands to her legs, according to the report. 

While being placed in restraints she both scratched and bit the officer on his leg, according to the report. The bite mark on his thigh began oozing blood, police reported.

The woman was transported to Tempe City Jail, where she was booked and held to see a judge, according to the report. 

Report compiled by Megan Janetsky.

Reach the reporter at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×