5 events that shaped the 2015 political year

US NEWS RYAN 1 ZUM
U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan, left, shares some thoughts with his colleagues prior to being nominated as Speaker of the House on Thursday, Oct. 29, 2015.

We’re a month away from 2016, and now would be a good time to take a look back at the best (and worst) political moments of the year in chronological order. So much can still happen in the next 30 days, but let’s hope Washington, D.C. and the campaign trail keep things quiet for the holidays.

Jan. 3: The 114th Congress takes office and the Republicans regain control of both the House and Senate. After the midterm elections of 2014, the country decided they had had enough gridlock and believed the GOP could get more done. Republicans regained nine seats in the Senate and 13 in the House. If you ask me, this was a response to the Supreme Court’s decision on Obamacare and wanted Congress to have more oversight on controversial bills.

March 9: A letter, signed by 47 Republican members of the Senate, is sent to the leadership of Iran in regards to the country's nuclear program. They warn that any foreign treaty signed by President Barack Obama without the approval of Congress can be overturned by the next sitting president. As childish as this sounded, this was a critical moment for the GOP to assert their dominance over President Obama’s overreach of powers. After he had signed several executive orders initiating programs still under debate in House and Senate committees, Congressional leaders had had enough.

May 22: The U.S. State Department begins publishing the emails of former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, specifically regarding the 2011 Benghazi Attacks. These led to the revelation that she had used a personal server at her residence for work emails. This was probably the talk of the year whenever her name came up, and I still believe this will be the biggest issue impeding her from winning the White House next November.

July 1: President Obama announces the re-establishment of full diplomatic relations between the U.S. and Cuba. This is the first time the U.S. and Cuban embassies would open since their closing in 1961 and commercial interactions would resume, shifting the Cuban economy away from their socialist roots and towards a capitalist society. The Castro brothers will be on their way out in the next few years, and President Obama believes we’re ready for Cuba, but the question still remains, is Cuba ready for us?

Oct. 30: Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Janesville) takes over for Speaker of the House John Boehner, the first time the position has switched hands within the same party during the same session since 1991. This was a symbol of the transition from traditional conservatism to Tea Party extremism within the House. So far, it hasn’t shed much light as to what may come in future legislation, but it has thrown support behind several presidential candidates like Sen. Rand Paul (Kentucky) and Sen. Ted Cruz (Texas).

All five of these events have shaped the political sphere Capitol Hill will operate under until the general election next November. This year was a quiet one compared to others, but I’m sure we’ll be in for some more action in the following year.

Obama administration's Iran nuclear deal ignores Israel

Hillary Clinton: Purveyor of muddy-water transparency

Reach the columnist at abkbundy@gmail.com or follow @abkbundy on Twitter.

×