I started attending ASU in August with high hopes and big expectations, and I am thankful to say this school has not let me down. While much of my college experience is unique to my seemingly never-ending schedule, I know many of my daily struggles are shared with a lot of other students. Some days my venture into adulthood feels heavy enough to incapacitate me, and other days, I cannot help but laugh at how simplistic my life has become. Every day, I learn something new about my school, myself and life in general, but here are the ten most impactful lessons I have learned in my first semester away at college.

1. Money is an object.

Without my parents around, I do find myself constantly worried about where my money is going. I budget meticulously to ensure I don’t have to skip meals, which sometimes means I have to miss movies or concerts. Prioritizing is part of growing up.

2. My bed is my life.

Beds have always been meant for sleeping, but college gives the biggest piece of furniture in your tiny dorm new meaning. Your bed is no longer just a bed, it is also a couch, a table, a desk, a café, an extended closet, a clothes dryer, a hangout spot and a safe haven.

via GIPHY

3. Free food is good food.

Suddenly, lunch with your parents doesn’t sound so awful when all you’ve eaten this week has been Cocoa Pebbles and yogurt.

Hint: When you do get the chance to go home, it is only slightly frowned upon to steal some snacks.

4. I actually eat like a child.

Without my parents buying weekly groceries, items like yogurt, squeezable applesauce, granola bars, cereal and cheese sticks make up at least half of my diet.

5. Human interaction is vital for emotional success.

It is really easy to lock yourself away when classes and work start to pile up, and in college, it's too easy to go a few days without talking to anyone at all. It is good to be focused, but building and maintaining relationships is necessary for emotional well-being on the days that don't revolve around essays and big tests.

6. Being an adult is expensive.

I have two words for you: toilet paper. Who knows why it’s so ridiculously expensive? WAIT! One more item: laundry detergent. Again, I just don’t get it. Unfortunately, no matter what anyone tells you, you need this stuff, so make sure it’s in the budget.

via GIPHY

7. I have two homes now.

I felt guilty calling my dorm “home” when speaking around my parents at first, but it’s true, I have two homes now. One has self-regulating air conditioning, real furniture, a full pantry and a human-sized shower. While the other, well … It doesn’t. My parents’ house will always be my home, but I have started my own little life here on the 14th floor.

8. Being stressed is a way of life.

via GIPHY

Stress is inevitable in college, and the way I see it, you have two options: embrace it or be engulfed by it. Trade stories of mini-meltdowns and long to-do lists, everyone around you is going through the same thing. Use your community for comfort.

9. Roommates and best friends aren’t always the same thing.

Whether they were randomly assigned or you’ve been friends since birth, even the coolest people are the worst to live with. Set boundaries early. Your happiness and comfort matters more than being “best friends” with your roomie.

via GIPHY

10. Bathrooms get complicated when you’re living amongst others.

Sharing showers means budgeting your time, giving “I’m naked” warnings and ensuring your blinds are closed before you drop your towel. Air freshener is your bathroom buddy, and the laundry fairy isn’t going to come and fix that overflowing hamper, so get on it already!

Reach the columnist at Kendra.Penningroth@asu.edu or follow @KPenningroth on Twitter.

×