2016: Vote Anyone but Trump

US NEWS GOPDEBATE 5 SIP
Presidential candidate Donald Trump walks on stage during the CNN Republican presidential debate at the Venetian in Las Vegas on Tuesday, Dec. 15, 2015. (Riccardo Savi/Sipa USA/TNS)

Welcoming 2016 means New Years resolutions and officially welcoming in the election year. For the upcoming election, there has been plenty of buzz about candidates from both parties who can make real changes to the country. If you have ever been on social media, you’ve seen the stir that Republican candidate and real estate tycoon Donald Trump has made.

From making scandalous comments about immigrants and the border to even making comments about other candidates, it’s no surprise that Trump’s campaign is based mostly on shock value. After announcing his candidacy in June of 2016, Trump has gone from joke to serious candidate, and that is troubling.

Because technology has become more pervasive in our lives this election cycle, social media has played a bigger role than ever before in this election. Voters are able to get information much faster to help inform their decisions. You can't go on Twitter without seeing a presidential candidate trending. Some people, though, seem to forget that tweeting can only take you so far. 

Voters seem to be split into two categories when it comes to the Trump campaign: those who support him speaking his mind and others who can't even believe what they’re seeing. I will be the first to admit that Trump is just ridiculous, but there are people who truly support him and his views on how this country should be run. Though I definitely consider myself liberal, there are even conservatives — moderate and otherwise — who think that Trump is just too much. 

Donald Trump’s campaign is based purely on his saying whatever radical thing comes to mind just to keep himself trending. Even people talking about how racist and crazy he sounds keeps him on the sidebar of all our twitter accounts. Even if you are voting as a Republican, making a decision about any other candidate is going to be incredibly difficult because you don't hear about anyone other than Trump. Engaging in political discourse is always important, but there is only so much that tweeting can do.

I, for one, do not want Trump to get past the primaries. As college students and the future of this country, the most important thing for us to do this election is vote. We need to continue to educate ourselves and make informed decisions. For those who believe that their vote doesn’t count: It’s that kind of thinking that will allow any idiot with enough media attention into the White House. For those of us who were able to vote in the last election, get yourself to the polls and encourage your friends to vote as well, and for those of you who are voting for the first time — this is it! Be the change that you want to see in this country. It is our chance to make that change and voting in 2016 is the first step. 

Thousands gather at Phoenix Convention Center for Donald Trump rally

Donald Trump relies on misinformation to trick gullible voters

Reach the columnist at ybrewste@asu.edu or follow @jbrewzki on Twitter.

×