After GCU, UA restrict hoverboards, ASU says no ban yet

After GCU and UA restrict hoverboards, whats next for ASU?

ASU junior Jordan Fox rides his hoverboard between classes on Thursday, Jan. 28, 2016, in Tempe.  

As several national universities place restrictions on the newest craze in transportation — the hoverboard — enters campus life, ASU hoverboarders patiently await the University's verdict.

Grand Canyon University and University of Arizona have taken measures against last year's popular Christmas gift. The hoverboard is now completely banned on the GCU campus as well as restricted in dorms of UA.

Although that trend might make sense, the University has yet to take any precaution against the hoverboard.

ASU's media relations team said in a statement that the University has not yet considered banning hoverboards on campus.

“We have not seen a large use of hoverboards on campus," according to the statement. "Students who use a hoverboard on campus are expected to abide by the Walk-Only Zone guidelines."

According to The Arizona Republichoverboards won’t be allowed on campus when students return from spring break this year because some hoverboard manufacturers are under investigation for the safety of their product.

Although GCU took major precautions by prepping an all-out ban of the product, Arizona has taken a slightly less drastic approach.

According to The Daily Wildcat, Arizona Residence Life sent out an email during winter break informing students that there would be a hoverboard ban in the university housing, but that students would still be able to use them around campus.

Not only have these Arizona schools taken a precaution, but according to the Associated Press, over 30 other universities across the country have as well.

On Jan. 20, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission released a statement regarding the hoverboard product. The statement said the Commission engineers will investigate hoverboard usage to test out the safety of the product.

However, hoverboard users such as liberal studies junior Jordan Fox said they can only see the benefit behind the product.

“The size of the school and the amount of people walking between classes, it only makes sense," Fox said. “There’s more control of your speed and how you stop compared to your skateboard of bicycle.”

Fox said he enjoys riding the hoverboard in between classes because he likes to feel the wind breeze past him.

“You’re really creating your own type of AC in Arizona," Fox said.

While Fox enjoys the benefit of having a hoverboard, he also said he wouldn’t be surprised if the restrictions eventually hit the University.

“Given the trend, I wouldn’t be surprised if they banned hoverboard, being the only school that isn’t banning it or putting restrictions on the hoverboard," Fox said. "Logistically it would make sense."

Even though students who use hoverboards on campus are weary of the idea of restrictions or a ban, communication and psychology alumnus Nick Alexander said life would have been much easier on campus if he had a hoverboard while going to school.

“I would have saved anywhere from 10-15 minutes just walking to class.” Alexander said. “The campus is so huge that using alternative means of transportation is almost necessary.”

Alexander said the University should embrace the new technology.

“Hoverboards are one of the many new creations that will change the way people will get around," Alexander said.

Handle-less segway brand Future X Boards gains momentum at ASU

Police use alternative transportation on campus

Reach the reporter at dcaltabi@asu.edu or follow @davidcaltabiano on Twitter.

×