Political wars: The party awakens

Photo illustration of Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders. (Bernie Sanders photo by Erin Hooley/Chicago Tribune: Donald Trump photo by John Fitzhugh/Biloxi Sun Herald) 

There’s been an awakening… Have you felt it? The Democrats… and the Republicans.

President Obama’s final State of the Union speech on Tuesday night may have seemed like more of the same, but it was actually another mark in the shift of ideals for both parties. They’re finally starting to realize that young people are paying attention to politics and will affect the 2016 election.

The Republican response by South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, wasn’t the usual bash and denial we’re used to. It seems the Republicans are ready to willingly take the blame they deserve but also want to point out the fact that both sides of the aisle are barring progress in the Capitol. It sounded as if they are ready to stop the bickering and compromise.

But the biggest news coming from both the State of the Union and the response were the several digs at Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump. I counted seven in President Obama’s and three in Gov. Haley’s.

This is a clear message from both sides saying "no more Mr. Nice Guy" to someone who has been letting the bullets fly from day one. It may seem like too little, too late, but this was the perfect moment to team up on the man who may bring up the right issues, but is not the right man for the job.

Now, back to the youth. Especially with Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders gathering strong support from younger voters across the country, this showing of bipartisanship will certainly bring the youths out of the woodwork.

This particularly hurts Trump and Sanders’ opponent, Hillary Clinton. The surge of support from younger voters flocking to both Trump and Sanders pulls any chance for Clinton to lock up the nomination, let alone the White House. After listening to the rest of the field debate the issues, younger voters need to realize both Trump and Clinton are not the right people for the Oval Office, and should instead vote for someone with more experience and trustworthiness.

Yes, you actually can make a difference this time. You have the right to vote and you need to use it if you want to see a new, better face in Washington. And I’m sorry, we can’t have Frank Underwood or Jimmy Fallon so we all need to just face reality and work with what we are given.

If you vote this November then you have done your duty, and if you don’t, well, then stop complaining.

Thousands gather at Phoenix Convention Center for Donald Trump rally

ASU student hosts gathering to support Bernie Sanders

Reach the columnist at abundy@asu.edu or follow @abkbundy on Twitter.

×