Even the most reluctant runner can find a reason to lace up their tennis shoes when the intimidating concept of a 5K is combined with music, friends, dancing and color. The 2016 Tempe Color Run aims to mix fitness with celebration in its fifth annual event at Tempe Beach Park on Jan. 23.

This year's "Tropicolor" themed event advertises itself as a "5K vacation" with island-inspired colors, gear, inflatable props and photo opportunities.

Eric King is the Color Run regional director for the West Coast. He said he believes the atmosphere of the event is a big part of its appeal.

"The Color Run is lighthearted, fun, a little bit crazy and a little bit wild," he said. "It's athletic but it's still really lighthearted — it's not serious (nor) competitive."

With no timers or winners, the emphasis is on community, health, fun, and of course, color. At various points around the 5K route volunteers toss bright powder at runners, who typically begin the run dressed in white and cross the finish line wearing a kaleidoscope of colors.

Introducing...The Color Run Tropicolor World Tour 2016! Check out our new video for a peek at all the island-style...

Posted by The Color Run on Thursday, November 5, 2015

Biology freshman, Emily Armstrong said she is looking forward to her fourth year running in the Tempe event. She has participated in charity 5Ks and mud runs, but prefers the Color Run's energy over typical races.

"With a color run it's just all about having fun," Armstrong said. "At the very end you run into all this confetti and everyone's cheering you on. They have a mosh pit (after the race). It's dirty, but they have music and you celebrate with all these other people. It's like a giant rainbow."

The event may be one long party for the participants, but plenty of work goes into the race beforehand. West Coast event director, Joseph Lopez, said preparation for the event begins long before runners arrive.

"We work with cities and build relationships with other organizations, local businesses and charities in each city," he said. "Seeing it from start to finish, quite a bit of work goes into it."

Although he is a Tempe native, this is Lopez's first year directing the event in this region. The job involves coordinating a large, ever-changing team to put on a huge event in a variety of different cities. But the payoff for the nonstop work is rewarding.

"Putting all the work into it, and all the attention to detail, and then showing up to the event and seeing it be successful is awesome," Lopez said.

Although the Color Run is a for-profit company, in each city the coordinators partner with a local charity to donate part of the event proceeds and raise awareness for the cause. The Tempe Color Run has worked with Banner Children's since 2012.

“Partnering with a worldwide organization that promotes healthiness, happiness and individuality couldn’t be more of a perfect fit,” Banner spokesperson, Becky Armendariz said in a press conference released by The Color Run.

More information and tickets to the event can be purchased on its website.

Students get colorful in 5K run

ASU students participate in Color Run

Reach the reporter at skylar.mason@asu.edu or follow @skylarmason42 on Twitter.

.

×