10 ways to celebrate Black History Month both on and off campus

Tempe Sound

The Tempe History Museum presents "The Tempe Sound" exhibition. This time machine of an exhibit takes its viewers through Tempe's history from the 1960s to the 2000s.

For the U.S. and Canada, February is Black History Month. Here are a few on-campus and off-campus events you can attend to celebrate the important people, culture and history of the African-American community.

On-campus events

Feb. 18-20: Passing Strange

Photo by Dr. Jeffery Kennedy | The State Press

Don't miss your chance to see the 2008 Tony Award winner for Best Book of a Musical, "Passing Strange." The musical made its Southwest debut today and will continue showing at Second Stage West at the ASU West campus until Saturday. Tickets for students are just $5.

Feb. 18-28: Black Arts Matter

BlackARTSMatter is shedding light on the issues in the African-American community through panels, workshops, readings and public talks. Events are scattered throughout the remainder of February.

Feb. 22: "Still I Rise" Poetry Night

On Monday at 7 p.m., catch ASU's Black Student Union at the ArtSpace West Gallery Patio on the West campus. for a night of spoken word poetry. The topics discussed at the gathering will challenge you to rethink the racial issues that continue to burden society.

Feb. 23: Masculinity and Feminism

Photo Courtesy of Saketh Parenjape

Head over to the Business Administration Building on the Tempe campus and discuss with members of Alpha Kappa Alpha and Phi Beta Sigma about masculinity and feminism in the African-American community. The event begins at 7 p.m. on Feb. 23.

Feb. 24: Representation Matters

Take the shuttle out to the Polytechnic campus' Cooley Ballroom and attend a sponsored discussion by University Housing. The discussion will highlight the microaggressions found in popular culture and mainstream media, the barriers members of the African-American community face in society and how to combat said barriers.

Off-campus events

All month: Fine Art Display at the Tempe History Museum

Photo by Ryan Santistevan | The State Press

The Tempe History Museum will display art in its community room to celebrate Black History Month. Treat yourself to this admission-free collection of artwork that is provided by the Diverse Artist Collective of Arizona.

Feb. 20: Healing Racism Series: "Race and Family"

A full-day conference regarding race and family will be held at the Rio Salado Conference Center. Participants can mingle with peers and learn from experts and members of the community throughout the program.

Feb. 24: Pathway to Radical Self and Community Reimagination: Workshop by Asantewa Sunni-Ali

Theatre artist Asantewa Sunni-Ali will lead a workshop that will "create liberating stories that question dominant paradigms and reclaim community narratives." The workshop will take place at the Black Theatre Troupe and begins at 6 p.m.

Feb. 27: Delivering Democracy Lecture Featuring Viola Davis

Hop on the light rail and attend a lecture sponsored by The Center for the Study of Race & Democracy. The lecture will take place at the Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church, will feature Emmy award-winning actress Viola Davis and will address poverty, hunger, racism and participatory democracy in America.

Feb. 27: Performances at the Museum: Driftwood Quintet

In honor of Black History Month, the Tempe-based quartet  will perform pieces from obscure Black musicians at the Tempe History Museum. The quartet features instruments like the oboe, clarinet, saxophone and the bass clarinet. The concert begins at 7 p.m. and is free.

Reach the reporter at anicla@asu.edu or follow @AndrewNiclaASU on Twitter.

×