Martin & Rami: Remixing international culture

Martin and Rami have made a successful business remixing international music. Photo by Stella Atzenweiler. 

Although creating remixes just started out as a hobby for DJs Martin & Rami, the duo’s passion and success has driven them to take their business to the next level.

Arizona State University students Rami Medhat and Martin Castoe founded Martin & Rami, which produces remixes to well-known songs, says Medhat.

“Our music has its own sense of style with the two different backgrounds we come from,” Castoe says. “Rami has his European and Spanish influence on music and I have more of an American culture in it.”

“We just want to try to give something new to the audience,” Medhat says.

Medhat says he and Castoe began making remixes simply as a hobby, but it quickly turned into something more.

“The group originated as nothing more than a side project,” Castoe says. “However, once we saw the potential that the group had, we decided to heavily pursue it. Now there’s a business side to it. If it’s possible to take it to the next level, that’s definitely something we’re looking for.”

Castoe says the positive feedback Martin & Rami receives from its listeners on its SoundCloud account is inspiring and motivating.

SoundCloud is the world’s leading social platform where anyone can create sounds and share them everywhere, according to SoundCloud’s official website.

“I really enjoy listening to their music on SoundCloud,” says ASU student Abigail Peterman. “I’m eager to see where their music can take them in the future.”

Castoe and Medhat say they would like to see Martin & Rami gain an international audience.

“What I dream of is playing in some different countries with different cultures,” Medhat says. “I would love to explore the world through this.”

Castoe says that although he and Medhat would like to take Martin & Rami to an international level, they’d want to stick to their roots because remixing songs should remain a passion.

“We’ve almost branded like a style of music — that’s what we’re going for,” Castoe says. “So when people want to hear us play somewhere, we’ll always stick to our natural sound. But as far as playing at like different events around the world, we can definitely adapt our sets to the type of music that’s trending in different countries.”

“We compare this to a singer,” Medhat says. “When a singer performs in a different country, he will still stick to his style and his music. But he may perform a few specials that fit the culture. We’d model that.”

Martin & Rami has received offers to perform at highly regarded events, Castoe says.

“We have an offer in Las Vegas to perform sometime in April,” says Castoe. “We also got a second offer from a Top 50 nightclub in Brazil, they would like to fly us out sometime soon to do a three night show. So those are our two up-and-coming gigs that we’re focusing on now.”

Medhat says he and Castoe are pleased and surprised by the amount of success Martin & Rami has experienced.

Within a little over two months, Martin & Rami has about 150,000 views on SoundClound, says Medhat.

“The positive response we have been getting has been awesome, and we are really looking forward to see where Martin & Rami will end up,” Castoe says. 

×