ASU swim and dive struggle to keep up Pac-12 best

ASU swim and dive finished eighth out of nine teams in the Pac-12 championship.

Junior Anna Olasz competes in the 200 yard butterfly against UCLA on Saturday, Nov. 7, 2015, at Mona Plummer Aquatic Center in Tempe. The Bruins defeated the Sun Devils 180-116.

ASU swim and dive got second-to-last place in the Pac-12 swimming (women's) and diving (men's and women's) Championships.

The Sun Devils started slow from the beginning. On the first day, they finished in seventh place in the 200-yard with a time of 1:40:06. In the 800-yard freestyle relay, the team got eighth with a time of 7:27:39.

Day two started better as junior Katarina Simonovic took ninth in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:45:80. However, it would be a while before anyone would come close to that success. The next 17 times a Sun Devil competed, they ended up in the middle of the result. The next-highest place was 17th place, which freshman Marlies Ross got in the 200-yard IM and senior Marina Spadoni got in the 50-yard freestyle.

ASU got sixth place in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a time of 1:31:09. 

As for the diving team, sophomore Mara Aiacoboae got fifth in the 3-meter diving event with a score of 317.85.

ASU started strong on the third day with Ross getting fourth in the 400-meter IM with a time of 4:09:23. After four Sun Devils ended up outside of the top ten, Simonovic swam her way to 10th place in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:45:97.

On the final day, the Sun Devils was fighting a new battle than they one they came into the tournament with: they were trying to stay above the bottom of the scoreboard and beat Washington State and Oregon State.

However, in the first race of the day, ASU only placed one swimmer. Junior Anna Olasz got 12th (16:40:66). No other swimmer got in the top ten until Ross continued her strong weekend, earning ninth place in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:11:13.

The best performance on day four was by Aiacoboae, who got third place in the Women Platform Diving event and scored 298. The 400-yard freestyle relay team finished the night off strong as they got sixth place with a time of 3:18:17.

The swim team had a couple successful swimmers but the depth of the team wasn’t good enough to keep the team from falling to stay up with the big dogs of the Pac-12.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×