ASU track and field takes two Territorial Cup points in MPSF championship

Both Sun Devil teams finished in the upper half of the tournament.

Maggie Ewen- track and field

ASU freshman Maggie Ewen throws the hammer on Friday March 20, 2015, at the Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe. Ewen placed fifth with a mark of 58.44 meters. 

Both ASU track and field performed well at the 19-team Indoor MPSF championship, placing in the upper half of each bracket and defeating University of Arizona.

The Sun Devils placed several athletes in the top five in meets as day one six times ASU was featured in the top five. In the field position side, redshirt sophomore Maggie Ewen won the women’s weight throw with a toss of 20.31 meters. Ewen said winning felt great after she got third in this event at last year’s MPSF championship.

"I knew there were a lot of seniors that graduated last year so that would move me up,” Ewen said to Sundevils.com. “But we have such a talented conference, I knew there would still be a lot of competition."

In the 5,000-meters run, ASU placed a runner in the top five in women’s and men’s as redshirt junior Adriana Olivas got fourth place with a time of 16:35:82 and redshirt junior CJ Albertson finished fifth in the race with a time of 13:58:59.

In the 200-meter dash, ASU got two more people in the top five. Graduate student Reggie Lewis finished second with a time of 21:42 and redshirt senior Isaiah Underwood got fifth with a time of 21:61. ASU finished fourth in the women’s distance medley with a time of 11:18:40.

ASU's best performance came on the second day. In the 60-meter dash, Underwood, Lewis and senior Jamol James all qualified for the finals with their performances on February 26. On Saturday, James won with a time of 6.70, Underwood got second with a time of 6.721 and Lewis finished just .002 seconds behind him.

Tim White impressed once again with his jumping, almost flying out of the box. In triple jump, he finished in second overall (16.13 meters), beating out senior Josh Dixon (15.73 meters).

Like White, junior Keyasia Tibbs got second place in women's triple jump with a jump of 12.92 meters. In women's shot put, Ewen continued her great day with ending up in second-place with a throw of 16.85 meters.

ASU performed well overall and with this, they will have two weeks before the last indoor meet as they will compete in the NCAA Indoor Championship in Birmingham, Alabama.

Reach the reporter at osoussi@asu.edu or follow @omarksoussi on Twitter.

×