Who are these 10 ASU buildings named after?

Gammage II
Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium is pictured facing Mill Avenue in Tempe on Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2016.

You might glance at a few buildings on campus while walking to class and think, "what is that called again?" or "who is that named after?" If you've ever had that curious thought, this is the list for you.

Dixie Gammage Hall

Did you know that Dixie Gammage Hall is the one of the only buildings on the ASU campus with a doorbell? This former dormitory was named after Dixie Gammage, who was married to ASU's 9th President Grady Gammage, according to ASU. Dixie Gammage Hall now houses the dean's office and offices for the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts.

Read more: Center stage: David Barker on acting, teaching and the art of being a mime

Danforth Meditation Chapel

Photo by Johanna Huckeba | The State Press

This cozy place of worship is snuggled between the Memorial Union and Hayden Library. It's so small that casual observers might miss it. According to ASU, the chapel was built by a man named William Danforth, a wealthy businessman who established the philanthropical organization, the Danforth Foundation. Part of its mission was to build chapels on college campuses. According to ASU When Danforth died in 1955, his foundation had built 24 chapels, including ASU's.

Read more: ASU student organization fights for on-campus interfaith prayer and meditation center

H.B. Farmer Education Building

Photo by Andrew Nicla | The State Press

Known well by education majors, the tan, bricked H.B. Farmer Education building can be spotted on Forest Mall across the street from ASU Gammage. According to ASU's virtual Tempe campus tour, the building was built in 1960 and is named after Hiram Bradford Farmer, who was the first principal of the Arizona Territorial School.

Read more: ASU alumna, donor Mary Lou Fulton dies

Lattie F. Coor Hall

Photo by Kaitlyn Ahrbeck | The State Press

This building on Forest Mall provides space for classrooms, research, survey research and computer labs for students and faculty. Lattie F. Coor Hall also houses five ASU programs, including the School of Politics and Global Studies and the School of Transborder Studies. According to ASU's virtual Tempe campus tour, the building was named after ASU's 15th President, Lattie F. Coor. It was officially dedicated and opened to the public on Jan. 7, 2004.

Read more: Digital Humanities Lab unites disciplines, creates meaningful change

Murdock Lecture Hall

Photo by Andrew Nicla | The State Press

This lecture hall is located on Orange Street in Tempe. Murdock Hall contains two lecture halls, and one of the largest lecture halls on campus. The building is named after former teacher and dean John R. Murdock.

A.J. Matthews Center

Photo by Ben Moffat | The State Press

Now home to ASU Student Media, The State Press and ASU's Disability Resource Center, the A.J. Matthews Center, constructed in 1930, was the first library on campus. The library was named after former 30-year ASU President Arthur James Matthews, according to ASU.

Related Links: 10 oldest buildings on ASU campus

Lyceum Theatre

Photo by Andrew Nicla | The State Press

This theatre was originally built in 1917 as ASU's central heating plant, its boiler room. Twenty-two years later, the Works Project Administration converted the building into a reception area with a stage. In 1951, when the Matthews Center remodel was finished, ASU's president and vice president's offices were in the theatre's lounge area, according to ASU. The Lyceum Theatre was officially named in 1964.

Related Links: ASU production 'Lasso of Truth' tells the complex, kinky story of Wonder Woman's creator

J. Russell and Bonita Nelson Fine Arts Center

Photo by Andrew Nicla | The State Press

You may have noticed this building's odd, intriguing architecture. The fine arts center, designed by New Mexican architect Antoine Predock, was built in 1989 and was named after former ASU President J. Russell Nelson and his wife Bonita, according to ASU.

Read more: Emerging Artists III performance explores themes of personal empowerment through choreography

Virginia G. Piper Writer's House

Photo by Ryan Santistevan | The State Press

This house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is home to ASU's Virginia G. Piper Center for Creative Writing. According to ASU, the cottage was constructed in 1907 and was used as the university president's home until 1959. It was named after Arizona philanthropist Virginia G. Piper.

Read more: Ghosts, time capsules and literature: A history of the Virginia G. Piper Writer's Center

I.D. Payne Hall

Photo by Andrew Nicla | The State Press

Payne Hall is the second home of the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College. Built in 1968, it was named after director and training school instructor of the Tempe Normal School, Ira Dawson. According to ASU, Dawson was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Laws and was the first faculty member to receive the title of professor emeritus.

Read more: ASU student find success with graduate research study in the classroom

Reach the reporter at anicla@asu.edu or follow @AndrewNiclaASU on Twitter.

×