Editorial: The primaries are upon us — go vote

The current state of the presidential race means the upcoming Presidential Preference Election is important as ​any of 2016.

US NEWS ELN-ELECTION 28 FT
Voters get a sticker to encourage others to vote at voting precinct 2033 in the Tarrant County Sub-Courthouse in Mansfield, Texas, Tuesday, November 6, 2012. (Rodger Mallison/Fort Worth Star-Telegram/MCT)

For the first time in history, millennials (born between 1981-1997) make up the largest voting block in the U.S., meaning that college students and recent graduates have the ability to influence the course of the 2016 presidential election more than any other generation. In 2016, students have the opportunity to drastically affect the future course of our country — now more than ever. 

With one of the tightest races in Democratic history and six candidates vying for the Republican nomination, the primary election (taking place March 22 in Arizona) is set to be the pivotal factor in this year’s presidential race. While this primary election will not directly vote our new president into office, due to the way the election is shaping up, it is arguably as important, if not more important, than the general election in determining the future “leader of the free world.”

As the largest university in the country, ASU is in a distinctive position this election cycle. With more than 92,000 students, the pull that ASU has in any given election is more than the vast majority of U.S. cities. In addition, ASU’s student population would secure it as the 12th largest city in the Grand Canyon State.

Iowa is a perfect example for how the youth vote can transform an election. The Democratic race in the Iowa Caucuses resulted in a slim win by Hillary Clinton according to the state’s Democratic party, but the results were so close that the Associated Press did not call the race. It is important to note here that even though the race was a near tie, 84 percent of democratic voters under the age of 30 voted for Bernie Sanders

To make your voice heard, it is important to secure the ability to vote in this upcoming primary election. Monday, Feb. 22 is the last day to register to vote in the Arizona Presidential Preference Election, also known as the Presidential Primary Election.

Registering to vote is easier than ever on the online portal, which can take as little as five minutes to fill out, and requires nothing more than your basic information, driver’s license number and social security number.

It is important to note that registered Independents cannot vote in the presidential primary. If you are an Independent and desire to cast a vote in the primary, we urge you to re-register with a party so that your voice can be heard this election.

Voting in the Presidential Preference Election could be the most important vote cast in 2016, because the fate of all of the candidates is up in the air. No matter whom you want to win the primary, voting in this election is imperative to the maintenance of our democracy. You can either vote for the candidate you support, or by failing to enact your civic duty, you are in effect voting for the candidates whom you disdain most.

Want to join the conversation? Send an email to opiniondesk.statepress@gmail.com. 

Keep letters under 300 words and be sure to include your university affiliation. Anonymity will not be granted.

×