14 things to do for Valentine's Day weekend

Graphic designed with Canva on Wednesday, Feb. 10, 2016.

Valentine's Day is Sunday. Hopefully this isn't the first time you're hearing this. If it is and you haven't planned anything for the weekend, don't worry! It's not too late to plan something special. Take a look at this list of events to attend, things to do and gifts you can buy for your significant other. You don't have to spend a lot of money (or any) to have the perfect Valentine's Day.

Treat your love to a Valentine's Day dinner at one of these Tempe restaurants

Take a moment to browse this list and pick a restaurant you like. Fill your stomach with a meal and fill your lover's heart with the joy of knowing you didn't forget the one day to commercially celebrate love.

Get cozy at Wildflower Bread Company & Changing Hands Bookstore

Photo by Bruce Matsunaga | The State Press

The Wildflower and Changing Hands Bookstore share the same building. You can order anything from pastries to pasta at Wildflower; if you're looking for suggestions, try the salmon and their iced tea. After you eat your lunch or dinner, slip on over to the bookstore and find a cosy corner to read in.

Fill up at Cornish Pasty Co.

Photo by Michael Arellano | The State Press

This dimly lit pub on University Drive brings the English "pasty" taste to Tempe. You can order a pastry filled with steak, lamb, potatoes or vegetables, a hearty salad and soup, or try one of the many beers on tap. Check out the menu for yourself.

Get a bite at The Lodge Sasquatch Kitchen

Photo by Ryan Santistevan | The State Press

Located at Rio Salado Parkway near Tempe Beach Park, this restaurant is Tempe's own lodge. The food is a mix of moderately priced bar food that includes burgers, wings, salad and other selections. There's an outdoor eating area, a game area and lots of televisions. 

Try out the House of Tricks

Photo courtesy of House of Tricks

Named a top dining spot in the U.S., House of Tricks is a reasonable choice for a Valentine's Day dinner. Eat on the patio if you can, ask about the daily specials and go from there. If you're old enough, try one of their wines.

Eat at The Chuckbox

Photo by The State Press Photo Staff

If burgers are your thing, Chuckbox is your place. Food at The Chuckbox is made to order and always fresh. Watching your burger grill and your fries or mushrooms fry makes eating them even more satisfying. Since Chuckbox only accepts cash, be sure to withdraw money before you go so you can avoid that pesky ATM charge.

Go out with your intended to any of these events:

Go to the ballet

Photo courtesy of Ballet Arizona 

Ballet Arizona will be performing Sleeping Beauty starting Thursday through Valentine's Day on Sunday. The award-winning company will also have pre and post-show chats with the performers. Tickets are half off with for those between the ages of 18 and 29.

Knock it out-of-the-park with ASU softball

Photo by Ben Moffat | The State Press

Walk over to Alberta B. Farrington Softball Stadium Sunday and watch the Kajikawa Classic, the largest softball tournament in the country. If you just want to catch ASU softball's game, their matchup starts at 3:45 p.m.

Travel over to Wells Fargo Arena

Photo by Ben Moffat | The State Press

Catch the tipoff of the ASU men's basketball's game against UCLA on Sunday. Student seating is, of course, free. 942 Crew usually hands out free shirts or game accessories before tipoff, too.

Jam out with Hoodie Allen

Photo by Aaron Lavinsky The State Press

There's still time to purchase tickets for independent hip-hop recording artist Hoodie Allen's concert at the Marquee Theatre on Sunday. Tickets for the show are $30 for general admission. 

ASU Art Museum

Photo by Johanna Huckeba | The State Press

If you can't make anything work on the special day because of scheduling or school, consider visiting the ASU Art Museum on Friday. The museum features collections from artists around the world and best of all — it's free.

The frugal route:

Valentine's Day is about spending time, not a lot of money, with the people we love and expressing how much we care about them. Here are a few things you can consider doing with your better half without spending much, or anything at all.

At-home movie date

Photo courtesy of Netflix

Sit on the couch, snuggle up, pop some popcorn and watch a movie. It can't get more simple and classic than this. Find something you both like or something you can put on in the background.

Make dinner

Photo by Anne Cusack | The Los Angeles Times/MCT

Making a tasty meal could be another way to show your love and admiration. Find an online recipe, run to the store and pick up what you need. Even if it's just pasta dressed up with grilled chicken and some spices, that's OK. The meal doesn't need to be complicated because it's truly the thought that counts.

Take a walk

There are countless places to walk to around campus. ASU Tempe has its downtown and Tempe Town Lake. The Downtown Phoenix campus has Roosevelt Row and interesting architecture to look at. The ASU West campus is near the beautiful Thunderbird Paseo Park. Even the Polytechnic campus has a place to watch the planes land and take off.

Make a goodie basket

This might be the most fun thing to do. Go to a local crafts store, buy a basket and fill it with things you and your bae enjoy. For example, you could fill the basket with chocolate, a movie to watch that day, gift cards or anything you find appropriate. Feel free to decorate the basket with real flower pedals or some plastic ones you can find at the craft store, a ribbon and place a card amongst the clutter of things.

Reach the reporter at anicla@asu.edu or follow @AndrewNiclaASU on Twitter.

×