Pac-12 women's basketball power rankings: ASU slips to No. 2

The Sun Devils no longer hold the top spot outright in the conference standings.

The Arizona State women's basketball team celebrates their victory over Utah on Sunday, Jan. 17, 2015, in Wells Fargo Arena in Tempe.

No. 9 ASU women's basketball lost its first conference game last Monday to Oregon State, falling into a tie for first in the Pac-12 with the No. 8 ranked Beavers.

Here are this week's full Pac-12 power rankings. The first number in the graphic represents the teams' respective placements in the Pac-12 standings:

1.

Last four games: (W) 71-43 vs. Arizona, (W) 67-44 vs. Arizona State, (W) 61-53 at Washington, (W) 54-45 at Washington State.

If a blowout victory over the Sun Devils wasn't enough, Oregon State went on the road for two hard-fought wins over the Washington schools last weekend. Now that junior guard Sydney Wiese has returned from injury, the Beavers can truly showcase the multitude of offensive weapons that make them the best team in the Pac-12.

2.

Last four games: (W) 63-58 at Oregon, (L) 44-67 at Oregon State, (W) 65-61 vs. UCLA, (W) 69-68 vs. USC.

ASU had a 15-game winning streak going into its matchup with Oregon State, but got clobbered in Corvallis by a Beavers team that appeared far more complete than its counterparts from the desert. The Sun Devils narrowly avoided a second conference loss to USC on Sunday thanks to a clutch three-point play by junior forward Sophie Brunner.

3.

Last four games: (W) 82-64 at Colorado, (W) 69-63 at Utah, (L) 61-65 at Arizona State, (W) 73-39 at Arizona.

The No. 14 Bruins narrowly lost on Friday to ASU despite a third quarter offensive surge, but made up for it by crushing Arizona in Tucson and playing some of their best defense all season. UCLA has two home games against the Washington schools on the docket for the coming week, hoping to pad its record and continue its run as the best scoring team in the Pac-12 (76.4 ppg).

4.

Last four games: (W) 69-53 vs. Washington, (W) 69-52 vs. Washington State, (W) 53-46 vs. California, (W) 60-55 at California.

Back in the top 15 of the AP rankings and on a four-game winning streak, the No. 13 Cardinals have found their offensive groove after averaging a mere 39 points per game in losses to ASU, Oregon State and UCLA. Its inability to beat the top tier teams in the conference, let alone score a respectable amount of points, is concerning for a Stanford program that is normally a national powerhouse.

5.

Last four games: (L) 58-63 vs. Arizona State, (W) 76-54 vs. Arizona, (W) 73-48 at Washington State, (W) 75-63 at Washington.

With the exception of their loss to the Sun Devils, you could make a case for the Ducks to be the hottest team in the conference right now, winners of six of their last seven games. Senior forward Jillian Alleyne is continuing to be a force on the boards (13.4 rpg, third in the country) and leads her team in scoring as well (18.0 ppg).

6.

Last four games: (L) 53-68 at Stanford, (W) 75-65 at California, (L) 53-61 vs. Oregon State, (L) 63-75 vs. Oregon.

Washington was riding high and ranked in the top 25 after a 4-1 home stand, but it stumbled in the last two weeks against Oregon, Oregon State and Stanford. Kelsey Plum is still the nation's leading scorer at 27 points per game, but the Huskies will need to become the "Dawgs of Defense" if they want any part of the upper echelon in the Pac-12.

7.

Last four games: (W) 70-59 at Utah, (L) 63-66 at Colorado, (W) 67-57 at Arizona, (L) 68-69 at Arizona State.

A lack of consistency has plagued Cynthia Cooper-Dyke's Trojans this season in the Pac-12. One night, they lost to lowly Colorado, and a week later they were milliseconds away from beating ASU on the road before a buzzer-beating layup that was called off. Home games against Washington and Washington State are next up for a USC team hoping to get back to .500 in conference.

8.

Last four games: (L) 59-70 vs. USC, (L) 63-69 vs. UCLA, (W) 71-55 vs. Colorado, (W) 76-68 at Colorado.

Without a single win over any the teams above them in these power rankings (except Washington on Jan. 4), Utah was in a serious lull before it found two consecutive wins against Colorado. The best way to remedy a five-game Pac-12 losing streak? Play the Buffaloes.

9.

Last four games: (W) 74-71 vs. Washington State, (L) 65-75 vs. Washington, (L) 46-53 at Stanford, (L) 55-60 vs. Stanford.

As far as these power rankings are concerned, California's nail-biter victory over Washington State barely keeps them out of the bottom three teams in the Pac-12 despite a 2-10 conference record. Even still, playing two close games with Stanford proves that this Bears team is better than it looks on paper.

10.

Last four games: (L) 71-74 at California, (L) 52-69 at Stanford, (L) 48-73 vs Oregon, (L) 45-54 vs Oregon State.

The Cougars are in a dead heat with Arizona for the title of coldest team in the conference right now. Losers of six straight, there's not much to be excited about in Pullman (is there ever?). It's hard to believe this team beat USC back on Jan. 15, but as Bill Walton would say, "There are no truck stops in the Pac-12."

11.

Last four games: (L) 43-71 at Oregon State, (L) 54-76 at Oregon, (L) 57-67 vs. USC, (L) 39-73 vs. UCLA.

The Wildcats' only conference wins are over Colorado and California, and all but one of the rest of their Pac-12 games were double-digit losses. That 73-39 pummeling from UCLA is an eyesore on what's been a pretty ugly season in Tucson. Depth can only get you so far if you lack in the talent department.

12.

Last four games: (L) 64-82 vs. UCLA, (W) 66-63 vs. USC, (L) 55-71 at Utah, (L) 68-76 vs. Utah.

They're dancing in the snowy streets of Boulder — the Buffaloes finally got their first conference win.

Reach the reporter at rclarke6@asu.edu or follow @RClarkeASU on Twitter.

×