The theory behind voter ID laws is a case of citizenship, not racism.

We have to prove we're students to enter buildings, we should have to prove we're citizens to vote.

US NEWS ELN-MISS-VOTING 2 BI
A poll worker checks a voter's ID at the Gautier, Miss., Convention Center on Tuesday, Nov. 4, 2014. This is the first election Mississippi's voter ID law has been in effect. (John Fitzhugh/Biloxi Sun Herald/MCT)

Over the past few years, several states have attempted to adopt voter identification laws. These laws would require registered voters to carry a valid form of identification like a driver's license or passport card in order to prove they are citizens of the U.S.

The theory seems simple and harmless enough but there have been several protests against the mere idea of voter identification laws, calling them racist and unfair.

These laws, in theory, are not racist or unfair to anybody. They merely make sure citizens, and only citizens, of the U.S. vote in elections.

While in the past there have been forms of these laws that were politically motivated, the basic theory of voter identification laws is completely unbiased.

Current voter identification laws contradict the right to vote, limiting people by forcing them to jump through hoops and provide several unnecessary documents to prove their identity.

Right now, it is too difficult to acquire a drivers license or passport, which are now the most commonly accepted forms of valid identification.

If lawmakers wanted to make it even simpler, they could give out a specific voter identification card to people when they turn 18. It would be distributed just like registration for the draft is.

People could opt out of this identification card if they wanted to, but in doing so they would be forfeiting their right to vote.

This proposal wouldn't include a subjective screening process either, every person walking into a polling station would be asked to prove their citizenship.

Our Sun Cards are no different from having valid identification to vote.

If ASU were to hold elections where only students of the University could vote, we wouldn't want students from the University of Arizona to come up and vote.

We have to prove our status as students everyday just to enter buildings, it should be just as important to prove citizenship when voting.

If you are a legally documented citizen of the U.S., then the Constitution gives you the right to vote in elections.

If you are not a legally documented citizen, then you do not have the right to make decisions for this country.

These laws should not be a case of profiling but purely a case of proving citizenship.

Media sells voter ID sensationalism

Editorial: House Bill 2023 stands to inflict more harm than good

Reach the columnist at abundy@asu.edu or follow @abkbundy on Twitter.

×