5 places to have your cake and eat it, too

corner bakery

Corner Bakery is located in the Arizona Center in downtown Phoenix as seen on Wednesday, March 23, 2016. 

As the spring semester moves into its last leg in the upcoming weeks, there comes a time when you just need to unwind and catch a little pick-me-up — or two. What better way to catch that second wind than with something nice and sweet to whet the taste buds? So you keep hitting those books and leave the sweets to us as we gather up five great places close to ASU campuses to let go and not think about stress for a while.

Fractured Prune

50 W. Jefferson Street Phoenix

521 S. College Ave. Tempe

Located in the center of downtown Phoenix’s Cityscape, Fractured Prune offers a wide variety of eclectic donut flavors for those looking for a morning rush or a midday pick-me-up. While the donuts are smaller than what you would find at say a Krispy Kreme or Basha’s, they are made fresh every day to order, giving customers a warm start to their day.

We make it really hard to say no! : @tsch0001

A photo posted by @fracturedprunedoughnuts on

Corner Bakery

455 N. 3rd Street Phoenix

222 S. Mill Ave. Tempe

While also known for its quick service and variety of lunch and dinner options, Corner Bakery stays true to its name by offering a variety of generously-sized cookies varying in flavors, cakes and other tasty treats. The bakery's buttery whoopee pies could sweeten your whole day with just one bite. As icing on the cake, all of these desserts are cheap and perfect to pick up between classes without much thinking.

Because you work too hard not to indulge. #Repost via @thatlitamakes #cookie #MonsterCookie #CornerBakeryCafe #Sweets

A photo posted by Corner Bakery Cafe (@cornerbakery) on

Slickables 

699 S. Mill Ave. Tempe

Just off of Mill Avenue sits this quaint little ice cream store. It is well-known for its wide assortment of ice cream sandwiches made from the customer’s choice of ice cream and cookies to seal the deal. The prices are affordable and despite the small size of the store, there is room for those wanting to take a seat and enjoy their sandwiches in the restaurant.

Best part of Mill Ave

A photo posted by H I L L A R Y (@hillelsner) on

Sparky’s Old Town Creamery 

510 S. Mill Ave. Tempe

If you name something cold and sweet, Sparky’s Old Town Creamery has it. It doesn’t matter if you’re hankering for ice cream, sherbet, shakes, fro-yo or Hawaiian shaved ice, you can get it at this Mill Avenue staple. As an added bonus, Sparky’s Old Town Creamery’s ice cream is made from the cream of local Arizona dairy farms. Money spent here will not only benefit your stomach but the livelihood of local farms as well.

How could you resist all of these fresh, handmade waffle cones? #ConesForDays

A photo posted by Sparky's Old Town Creamery (@sparkysonmill) on

Melt.

910 N. 5th St. Phoenix

This Roosevelt Row ice-cream haven is well known in Phoenix for its extensive stylings. For the uninitiated, Melt. serves its variety of rotating flavors in Chinese take-out containers with a complementary fortune cookie. While the restaurant is a bit on the pricey side for the proportions you get, the ice cream is quality and many of the flavors can’t be found anywhere else in the Valley.

Mangoñadas are back! Along with some new @jarritos! : @psychomvrk

A photo posted by MELT ICE CREAM (@meltphx) on

Always remember that you should treat yourself. After long hours in classes and time spent studying, it is important to take a break and take care of you.

Reach the arts reporter at drsmit19@asu.edu or follow @Maxx_Lazerblast on Twitter.

×