Declutter your way to minimalism

Declutter your way to minimalism

The point of minimalism is to maximize one’s life by simplifying the amount of clutter around them, so the first step in transitioning is the decluttering process. Where to begin is a personal preference, it’s advised to start with the place that is the most cluttered, because once that’s out of the way the rest is quick and easy.

I began with the closet, although some people start in the kitchen, a junk drawer, the bathroom, etc. To avoid the feeling of being “wasteful” of the things being thrown out, make three piles: sell, donate and trash.

Sorting through items will raise much controversy: I used this a few times this year, but not as much as I could have: My sister gave me this, I can’t give it away; or I may need this in the future. While these may all seem like important reasons to keep something, that hesitation is symbolic of how much the item will continue to hold you down in the future.

In order to avoid recycling this series of questions, here’s how to get more specific in your decluttering process:

Closet:

● If traveling abroad for three or more months, would it make it on the trip? If no, think about all the potential lives it could make positive use in?

● Does it not fit properly?

● Is it damaged in any unappealing way?

● How does it pair with the rest of the wardrobe?

● Can you see yourself buying it at the store right now?

● Are there any look alikes, or articles with the same concept?

Bedroom:

● First ask yourself, what is the purpose of this room? Sleeping is one and it may be the only depending on the other types of neighboring rooms.

● Then ask yourself the same question for each piece of furniture: what is its purpose? Do you put it to good use? Consider narrowing down to 3­4 pieces of furniture.

● Do the items associated with hobbies still interest you? This may include trophies, collections or even childhood memories.

● Is it useful to you? Office supplies are obviously useful, but when was the last time you used that ruler to measure something?

Bathroom:

● How long has the item been stored in there?

● How many spare towels do you actually need?

Kitchen:

● Are there duplicates of that item? (Pots, pans, serving dishes, etc.)

● Has it been used in the last year? This includes things like the popcorn and margarita machines.

● How long has that package been expired?

● Hint: Have everything in the fridge visible to promote usage.

Sentimentals:

● If you barely remember having ownership over the item, what are the chances the person who gave it to you remembers either?

● Can it be put to use some way throughout the house? If it’s something like unworn jewelry, frame it and hang it up. Get creative!

×