Future USG downtown vice president charged with "nonfeasance" by senators

Ernesto Hernandez, Vice President of Services elect, poses for a portait.
Courtesy of Jimmy Arwood
Ernesto Hernandez, Vice President of Services elect, poses for a portait. Courtesy of Jimmy Arwood

Ernesto Hernandez, soon-to-be Undergraduate Student Government Downtown Vice President of Student Services and current senator, was declared "nonfeasant" by other USGD senators on Friday.

The status of nonfeasance is, at its core, simply a warning — or as Ryan Boyd, current USGD vice president of policy termed it, "a slap on the wrist." 

Boyd said that if the actions continue, the result could be further censure of Hernandez's impeachment.

"He has on more than one occasion failed to file Weekly Activities Reports we require of paid staff and Senators," Boyd said. "He failed to reach the quota the Senate imposed on itself to get feedback on the Student Programming Fee, he failed in his duties as a Chair of his Committee as his minutes were not put on the website to be publicly accessible."

Hernandez, more specifically, failed to file about half of his weekly action reports on time, sometimes not filing them at all. He also did not meet USGD's student feedback quota for the $5 student-fee increase.

Boyd also said Hernandez failed to post blogs required for USGD senators. However, Hernandez challenged the validity of the blog post claims, saying that it wasn't one of the charges.

Hernandez said this won't affect his work as the Vice President of Student Services and that through the experience, he learned a variety of lessons that will make him a more effective leader.

"I like to think as this nonfeasance as a blessing in disguise," Hernandez said. "It was a slap on the wrist, and showed me that I had to turn in my work on time, and it reminded our student government that we have to do a few clean ups within our senate bylaws to clearly describe strikes and the appeal process."

Related links:

USG Tempe presidential second runner-up Niko Vlastos endorses DeGravina

'Broken' Tempe USG election system strikes controversy among candidates

Reach the assistant news editor at megan.janetsky@asu.edu or follow @meganjanetsky on Twitter.

×