Rahm, ASU in contention to defend home course

Rahm leads the field in birdies as Rottluff adds nine birdies to the team total.

Senior Jon Rahm sizes up his putt on hole 18 during the second round of Saturday  play during the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on Saturday, April 2, 2016  at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, AZ.

Senior Jon Rahm sizes up his putt on hole 18 during the second round of Saturday play during the ASU Thunderbird Invitational on Saturday, April 2, 2016 at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, AZ.

The opening tee shots were hit at 7:30 a.m. Saturday in Tempe, Arizona to kick off the 44th ASU Thunderbird Invitational. The 71-player field represented 13 different teams. 

Early on in the first round, ASU seniors Max Rottluff and Jon Rahm led the way for the Sun Devils. Rottluff, who began his round on the second hole, made six birdies through his first 17 holes, only to record his first bogey on his final hole of the round, the par-4 first, carding a round of 66 (-5). 

Rahm started his round off with a birdie on the first hole and then again on the par-4 third. He followed that with a bogey on the fifth, only to bounce back with four more birdies on his way to shooting an opening-round 66 (-5), tying him with his teammate Rottluff for 2nd after the first round.

At the end of round one, ASU was in a tie for second place at -7, three strokes behind the Iowa State Cyclones (-10).

The players had little time to rest as they were sent out to finish the second half of their 36 hole marathon on Saturday afternoon. 

Rahm continued his blistering pace by racking up seven birdies in his second round to the tune of no bogeys. Rahm currently sits at the top of the leaderboard with a two-day score of -12.

Rahm is looking to be the first Sun Devil player to record three straight wins at the event.

Close in pursuit are Rahm's teammates Rottluff and junior Jared du Toit. 

Rottluff played a one over 35 front nine, with birdies on 13 and 17. He was able to record a one under 70 and positions himself six shots back of Rahm. 

After a first-round three over, du Toit turned in a four-under 67, highlighted by three consecutive birdies on holes 13 through 15 to put himself back in red numbers heading to the final day.

ASU (-17) currently trails Iowa State (-18) by one stroke heading into the third and final round of the tournament. The last round will begin Sunday morning at 7:30 a.m.

Reach the reporter at Braxton.Fox@asu.edu or follow @braxton_fox_II on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×