Seth Martinez goes the distance in 3-2 win over Stanford

Freshman Tyler Williams picked up two RBIs in a Sun Devil victory.

ASU baseball junior right-handed pitcher Seth Martinez pitched a complete game against Stanford on Friday night, leading the Sun Devils to a 3-2 win.

With help from the Sun Devil defense, the junior ace gave up only two runs on six hits, walking two and striking out three.

A decent performance at the plate for ASU gave Martinez some run support. The Sun Devils took the lead in the second after freshman left fielder Tyler Williams had an RBI single to knock around junior designated hitter Sebastian Zawada who had walked.

Stanford however responded in the next inning, then pulled ahead in the fourth, but Williams' night wasn't finished as he came up in the seventh and hit his second RBI single of the night to tie the game.

After a pitching change by Stanford, the bases were loaded with ASU heading back to the top of their order. Sophomore second baseman Andrew Snow stepped up and hit a sacrifice fly to bring home the go-ahead run, and that was all the Sun Devils would need as Stanford couldn't bounce back against Martinez and the ASU defense.

ASU improves to 21-14 on the season and 7-9 in the Pac-12, while Stanford drops to 19-13 overall and 7-6 in the Pac-12.

The Sun Devils will be back out at Sunken Diamond in Stanford, California tomorrow for game two against the Cardinal at 2:00 p.m.

Reach the reporter at haley.stesiak@asu.edu or follow @haley_stesiak on Twitter.

Get the best of State Press delivered straight to your inbox.

×

This website uses cookies to make your expierence better and easier. By using this website you consent to our use of cookies. For more information, please see our Cookie Policy.