Steals on meals: Gilbert's Joe's Farm Grill

If it is good enough for Guy Fieri, it is good enough for me.

A hamburger and fries are pictured from Joe's Farm Grill.

It's only fitting that near to the ASU Polytechnic campus, there is an eatery that could never exist inside the city. Of course, I am talking about the famous Joe’s Farm Grill, which was featured on Guy Fieri’s “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.” What makes Joe’s so special is that they grow all of their vegetables and herbs on site, guaranteeing a delicious and fresh eating experience.

My troupe and I arrived at the restaurant around 7 p.m. on a Friday night, and a line was wrapped around the building, which would be annoying in normal circumstances – but the natives began hyping up the food and saying it was worth the wait. When I got ahold of the menu, I was actually thankful for the next 30 minutes I spent waiting in line because the choices were endless.

Joe’s is known for its burgers, pizzas and barbecue. I considered something off of all of these menus. When I visited, the daily special was a lamb burger, which also piqued my interest. I decided on the barbecue sampler plate, which included a few ribs, pulled pork, chicken tender, onion rings, coleslaw and multiple sides. 

My world was turned upside down when I got toward the front of the line where Joe’s played its episode of “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.” Fieri sampled the restaurant’s fontina burger, wedge salad, BBQ chicken pizza and the ahi tuna sandwich.

I don’t know if it was Fieri’s frosted tips or the juicy tuna steak on the screen that convinced me to change my mind right as I was ordering, but I went with the tuna and a side of fries.

Most of the seating at Joe’s is outside in the form of picnic tables nestled under strands of lights. The atmosphere is homey. In fact, it may be a little too homey — the Johnston restauranteurs originally resided where the restaurant is now, that is until they adapted it into a restaurant. 

This is most evident in the restaurant's two bathrooms, which used to be the children’s rooms. Glass display cases show off Barbie and G.I. Joe dolls and a television plays children’s shows on a constant loop. My friends thought this was creepy, but I thought it was kind of cute. Well, cute and creepy.

The food came quickly to the table and I immediately dug into the tuna sandwich. The slice of tuna was so thick that I almost split a lip trying to get a bite. It was completely worth it. The tuna was perfect and the wasabi mayo and Asian slaw really completed the taste.

A photo posted by Alesha Row (@arow00000) on

I also was able to try the fried green beans and fried zucchini which were fresh and satisfying, healthy and indulgent. Another friend got the sweet potato fries that were paired with an odd yet refreshing pineapple-serrano dipping sauce.

Joe’s Farm Grill might not have a scheduled happy hour but it is a must-visit, for Poly students and anyone else. The farm grown quality and fair prices speak for themselves.

Joe’s Farm Grill is located at 3000 E. Ray Road in Gilbert — just minutes away from the Poly campus!

Steals on meals: Tempe's La Bocca

Steals on meals: Tempe's RA Sushi Bar

Reach the reporter at tanner.stechnij@asu.edu or follow @tannerstechnij on Twitter.

×