Life isn't always sunny: How to handle balancing work, school and internships during the semester

Dealing with stress isn't always easy. SPM reporter Lauren Intrieri had a stressful summer, but it helped her find ways to deal with stress just in time for a new school year. 

For some, summer means endless hours of freedom and relaxation, sleeping in until noon and going on Instagram-worthy vacations. For others, summer can mean something completely different. Staying up late to finish homework, working and starting an internship might replace the free time that is typically associated with summer break.

If the latter situation sounds like yours (a.k.a no "Summer Sixteen" for you), you're not alone: this past summer, I found myself juggling a new job, my first internship and four summer classes. 

After countless job applications and interviewing for an internship, I got the call and email that I had landed positions at a local pottery place and a women’s health website. I was excited to finally start doing something more with my time than just sleeping and homework, but I was also told my paid and unpaid position both started on May 31.

The struggle that came with trying to start both jobs on the same day foreshadowed the rest of my summer. I found myself rushing multiple times to complete work in order to get to the next place or item on my to-do list. My summer classes sat on the back burner when I had content to write for my internship, causing me to barely meet homework deadlines.

I have seen people shy away from the idea of taking on multiple things at once, afraid they won’t be able to handle the challenges that come with it. Trying to juggle work and school is a challenge but it can be done; It just takes time management, determination and a bit of insanity.

The amount of time you have between here and there will greatly affect how much time you have for anything else. The commute can be the hardest part when trying to manage time because it can be very unpredictable depending on traffic and your vehicle. There was a day I had a flat tire and wasn’t able to make it into my internship, preventing me from doing any work that day.

Plan out your time, especially if you have a long commute, but be prepared for occasional hiccups. Sometimes, life happens and the best thing to do is to just keep carrying on.

The one thing I did not do, but should have, was make school my top priority. I signed up for my classes hoping I would find time to do the work. Even though I did well in all of my online classes, I found myself staying up well past midnight trying to finish homework or take exams. This made me exhausted the next day when I had to wake up at 6:30 a.m.

Whether it’s during the summer or just a regular semester, a job or internship should be second to school. This will make it easier to manage everything else because you can plan around your class schedule without worrying about times conflicting.

Taking on multiple things at once can also bring a lot of new opportunities. Your manager might ask you to take on an extra shift or your internship employer might ask you to take on a big project. When presented with an opportunity that will benefit you, it’s important to think of how it might affect everything else.

Of course it’s important to make a good impression on your employer, but you also have to make sure you have the time and the ability to do it. No one wants half-done work or an employee who’s falling asleep at their desk.

Like with everything else, it is necessary to take breaks and do something else besides work and school. I found it difficult to see my friends on a regular basis, but I made sure to see them when I could.

As students, social time can be just as important as work time. Whenever I’m stressed, I set aside some time for myself to relax. Reading, taking a bath, cooking or taking a walk around the neighborhood with my mom are all way that help me relieve stress. Also, having something to look forward to, such a road trip with a group of friends or even a visit to the mall, can make you feel refreshed and ready to get back to work.

×