Around the World at ASU: International Student Enrollment

Students from over 150 counties call ASU home — international student enrollment continues to grow.

The Coalition of International Students posing for a picture at the Memorial Union on ASU's Tempe campus.

ASU attracts students from across the U.S., while also grabbing the attention of students from over 150 countries around the world.

According to the 2015 Open Doors Report on International Educational Exchange, ASU is ranked fourth for international student enrollment in the U.S., and the Coalition of International Students organization is making sure these students feel right at home.

Indian international student Aravind Sreenivasa came to ASU to study computer science and serves as president of CIS. He explained that the organization is composed of members from various countries and backgrounds.

“The coalition is made up of students of all different nationalities," he said. "On the front we plan events and help international students if they need it. We give them the resources they need while also making their college life fun.”

During the 2014-2015 school year, over 11,330 international students were enrolled at ASU, resulting in over a 30 percent enrollment increase from the previous year.

Malaysian CIS member Adlinur Lam, who is biological science major, has witnessed growth in international student enrollment at ASU as well as in the club.

“I think CIS has been crucial in the past couple years, a lot more international students are coming here," she said. "At first CIS only had three members, but with the international student population growing so much, we are able to put on major events such as International Night, which is our best one.”

When Chinese international student Che Jui discovered ASU, he was drawn to the sports media program and found a new home with CIS.

“I am very lucky to have a native of Arizona as one of my close friends to show me around, teach me some English terms and to do fun stuff with,” he said.

CIS also hosts job fairs, ice cream socials, carnivals and other social events for the students to get to know each other during ASU Fall Welcome Week and throughout the rest of the school year.

ASU offers many other international clubs specific to nationalities, which allows students to feel more comfortable in a familiar environment.

Like Lam, Fasha Liyana Johari came to ASU to study biological science from Malaysia and immediately created connections through CIS.

“I like the fact that ASU is trying to reach out to international students,” she said. “We can see that the care and effort is there. We are the ones that help ASU achieve their goals of growing their international student population. We connect the bridge between ASU and international students.”

The University also has Global Guides, who are volunteer students that help international students make a smoother transition into ASU life. Global Guides are matched based on country of origin, gender, major, campus location and personal interests which creates a better connection among students. 

Relationships between international and domestic students is mutually beneficial, allowing for cultural awareness and cultivating global connections.

Meenah Rincon, ASU media relations and strategic communications director, works to help promote the international program admissions and its global connections.

“At Arizona State University, students from around the world have access to not only a high quality education, but also a supportive university community that helps them succeed and feel welcomed," she said.

×