Trump describes plan for immigration reform and 'beautiful' wall

Donald Trump speaks during his campaign stop at the Phoenix Convention Center in Phoenix, Arizona, on Wednesday, Aug. 31, 2016.

Supporters came from around the Valley to the Phoenix Convention Center on Wednesday to hear GOP presidential nominee Donald Trump speak on immigration reform.

Trump unveiled a 10-point plan for immigration policy if elected president. The plan includes building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border, canceling pre-existing executive orders and enacting an entry-exit visa tracking system.

Prior to Trump's speech, Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey, Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani gave their endorsements. 

Trump said Mexico will indeed be paying for the border wall. Although Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto later tweeted in Spanish that Mexico will not be footing the bill.

Nevertheless, Trump insisted plans for the wall will go forward. 

“On day one, we will begin working on an impenetrable, physical, tall, powerful, beautiful Southern border wall,” Trump said. “Mexico will work with us. I absolutely believe it."

Arpaio, who has been a steady backer of Trump, reiterated his support on putting an end to illegal immigration.

“I’m very proud of Donald Trump and what happened today," Arpaio said. "He took a trip to Mexico City, invited by the president of Mexico."

Trump also detailed his plan to repeal executive orders and further enforce current immigration laws.

“We will immediately terminate President Obama’s two illegal executive amnesties, in which he defied federal law and the Constitution to give amnesty to approximately five million illegal immigrants,” Trump said.

Jake Corsi, president of ASU Students for Donald Trump, said Trump did a good job of outlining his plan and staying to the point — particularly when it came to immigration. 

“Trump brought a tactical approach to ending catch and release, which is fundamental to reforming the immigration system,” said Corsi.

Austin Marshall, president of the ASU Young Democrats, said Trump’s plan did not have any realistic support to back up his statements.

“All his speech focused on is that he’s building a wall and we’re going to kick everyone out," Marshall said. "It’s not real, it’s not feasible, he didn’t propose how he’s going to pay for wall."

Reach the reporter at jwbowlin@asu.edu or follow @taylor_bishop6 on Twitter.

×