Phoenix Fashion Week is designed to bring the fashion industry to the Valley

Designers from all over the world come together to show off the latest fall trends for the annual Phoenix Fashion Week.

Models showcase pieces on the runway from Phoenix Fashion Week in October 2015. 

Fall Fashion Week is happening around the world, with top designers displaying the hottest trends for the season. Those interested in knowing what's "in" this fall don't need to travel halfway around the world — only half an hour to Scottsdale for the annual Phoenix Fashion Week.

The event, founded in 2008, highlights new trends that designers like  Givenchy and Calvin Klein are showcasing in their collection. Aside from the catwalk, attendees can visit designers' booths as well as learn the in-and-outs of the fashion world with various bootcamps and courses.

The show is known for bringing up-and-coming designers to the Valley as well as around the country to display their fall fashion trends. However this year, PHXFW is branching out overseas.

Brian Hill, Executive Director of PHXFW, said designers from South Africa, Lebanon and other countries will have their pieces modeled on the runaway. Having designers from all over the world brings a new approach to how trends are extending internationally, and it overall makes the event a launch pad for those interested in the fashion industry, Hill said.

Not only is this a major event for designers and trend lovers in the area, but also for ASU students who have mad passion for fashion. It's no shock that many students love the industry because there are numerous clubs across campus dedicated to all things fashion.

Marketing senior Hannah Gur-Arie, who is vice president of Business of Fashion at ASU, said that PHXFW brings something new every year, which is exciting to students looking to go into the fashion industry. 

"Each year the designers are more diverse, present more exciting looks and the shows themselves are more entertaining," Gur-Arie said. "It's exciting to welcome them into the Phoenix fashion community."

Fashion in the Southwest has a pattern of west coast meets southern flair, as shown in past collections. Designers use this collaborative mix of style and also add their personal touch to create their pieces that will be strutted down the runway.

"For a lot of the designers, Phoenix Fashion Week is the first time they are presenting a cohesive collection on a runway," Gur-Arie said. "So seeing them show something that truly representative of their own aesthetic never goes unnoticed."

Seeing all the collections combined with the right makeup and accessories makes it a magical event for everyone involved. The crew, models, designers and the fashion fans have a passion for the industry, which makes it a successful event every year.

Marketing senior Madison Morrow, who is President of Business of Fashion at ASU, said that being a part of the show as a student is such a surreal moment. 

"A lot of Business of Fashion members work at Phoenix Fashion Week behind the scenes, so they get great hands-on experience learning what it is like to produce a fashion show," Morrow said. "Not only working in a fast-paced environment, but styling, marketing, set-up, the whole nine yards."

Phoenix isn't known as an international fashion hub, however PHXFW offers a great opportunity for students to get a feel of the fashion industry without traveling too far.

"It's exciting to show them that they have great opportunities here in the Valley to be in fashion, or just to get experience in their dream industry." Morrow said.

The event takes place Oct. 12-15 at  Talking Stick Resort in Scottsdale, and tickets are still available to purchase. Check out the websiteFacebookTwitter and YouTube channel for more information on tickets, designers and behind-the-scenes access. 

Reach the reporter at jhaynie1@asu.edu or follow  @jilli_haynie on Twitter.

Like  The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×