Being a broke college student adds value to your future

Being broke in college could teach you skills imperative to your future success

Their wallet has taken quite the beating, but they're still fighting! Illustration published on Thursday, Oct. 20, 2016.

We are at an age where college tuition and the minimum wage are both hotly debated subjects — many students fight fiercely for both causes. We sign countless petitions for such causes and still struggle to get by.

I'm not saying that these causes aren't valid. In fact, I’m one of those students striving to make college life more affordable. But amongst the strife and controversy, I realized that there is value in being a “poor college student."

Don't get me wrong, surviving off of beans, ramen and macaroni and cheese is not fun, but struggling in college is a right of passage. Being a college student on a budget forces us become innovative, resourceful and responsible.

Every financially struggling student has looked with envious eyes at those whose parents have taken care of everything for them. While this looks fine and dandy, those students aren’t developing essential skills needed to function as a working adult.

This may sound simple, but those who have their way paid through college are rudely awakened when they realize money doesn't grow on trees. As an adult, you lose the expectation that if you can’t make ends meet “Mom will take care of it.” You must save, budget and spend responsibly; it's no longer an option.

As broke college students, we're always complaining about eating the same inexpensive meals and working tirelessly for minimum wage. The circumstances may be annoying, but I think that it's good. Being self-sufficient in college motivates you to study, work and invest in yourself now, so that you can be successful in the future.

This also forces you to be creative and innovative with the resources you can afford. You’ll learn to stretch that last dollar and to use what you have to the very last drop.

“Being a college student who is pretty much financially responsible for myself, I’ve learned to save every cent I have," Maddie Daniels, accounting sophomore, said. "Even if it meant calling the bank to argue back the $5 fee they charged me. That $5 is a meal!”

Without the luxury of your parents' pockets, you learn to be creative in order to survive. You are forced to waste less and save more.

“Being broke taught me how to persevere through some tough situations that I’ve never dealt with before," Adrianna Lash, business sophomore, said. "I've grown a lot, and learned a lot.”

Having to be financially responsible will push you to your limits and force you into new, and likely uncomfortable, situations. You may be out of your comfort zone, but ultimately, it allows you to learn more about what you value.

“It taught me to be grateful for what I have and to realize how much I’ve been blessed with." Gracie Strasser, industrial design sophomore, said. "I didn’t realize how much I had until I had to work for it.”

Having little financial means teaches you who you are, who your friends are and who your family is. When you can’t party every weekend, you quickly learn which of your friends are really invested in staying by your side. Additionally, although your family may not be able to entirely support you financially, their emotional support is so much more valuable.

College doesn’t leave room for financial entitlement. You are forced to be responsible for yourself and to learn how to be an adult. You have to take responsibility for your future because nobody is going to do that for you.

Being financially responsible, but broke, in college develops your work ethic. Many of us are forced to work for our food, rent and ultimately for our futures. Being a student worker teaches you your worth, and knowing the value of your labor is a huge asset when beginning your career. 

Reach the columnist at sljorda4@asu.edu or follow @skyjordan15 on Twitter.

×