Top of the class: College degrees mean nothing in the voting booth

It doesn't matter if you passed your government class, you'll still make an informed decision this November

Photo illustration of a political science class.

No matter how good a college education sounds when describing a potential voter, that degree doesn't do anything more at the polls than a high school diploma does for someone in the workforce.

Education isn't doing what it's supposed to anymore, at least when it comes to making informed decisions during election season.

While a diploma or degree adds to your personal arsenal of practical information in your field of interest, it doesn't help you see both sides of the story when deciding who to vote for in November.

College campuses tend to be more liberal and professors push their students with those liberal ideals during class time.

So, it doesn't matter how many constitutional law or political science classes you took in college, social influences stick with younger voters the most and that's what they'll think of when they fill out their ballots.

But it doesn't have to be this way. We can still listen to both sides of the story despite whatever positions your professors or friends have.

"There are good ideas on both sides of the aisle and we need to let them both be heard," Kelli Butler, Democratic candidate for Arizona State House District 28, said. "That way people can talk and find the compromises that will actually make a difference."

But, it all starts with you.

Only you can reflect on the everyday practical actions you take to live your life and use them to make real, informed decisions in the voting booth. 

Classes can only prepare you so much to navigate the housing market or the tax system. Only your experiences and the experiences of the people close to you can help guide you through events affected by policies created by the officials we all vote for.

So, congratulations! You know how the House Rules Committee works and understand quantum physics, but that doesn't do jack squat for you when you have to decide whether to legalize Marijuana or raise the minimum wage.

I'm not discouraging you from getting a college education. However, I am suggesting you consider how these politicians and policies will affect your life rather than use your vote as a pawn in a popularity contest.

Make the truly intelligent decision this November.

Reach the columnist at abundy@asu.edu or follow @abkbundy on Twitter.

×