Report Card: Grading ASU football's blowout loss to Colorado

The Sun Devils did not grade well in their second loss of the season

Arizona State senior Matt Haack punts the ball on Saturday, Oct. 15, 2016, in Folsom Field in Boulder, Colorado. The Colorado Buffaloes went on to defeat the Sun Devils 40-16.

Valedictorian: Senior kicker Zane Gonzalez

As bad as the offense looked in ASU's loss to USC, it looked even worse against Colorado. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Manny Wilkins completed just 37 percent of his passes and the run game wasn't much better, as the Sun Devils managed just 1.8 yards per carry. ASU had just two drives of 40 or more yards, totaling three points on them. Without the big leg of Gonzalez, the game would not have appeared as close at it did, which wasn't at all.

The defense looked like it turned a corner last week against UCLA, but it took a definite step or two backwards against the Buffaloes. Colorado ran for 315 yards against what was previously one of the best run defenses in the country. Many of the 52 carries could have been mitigated, but ASU defenders had their worst tackling game of the season, letting second and third efforts for Colorado go for extra yards and keep drives alive.

Once again, the Sun Devils were saved by their special teams. Gonzalez remains one of the best kickers in college football this season and ever, knocking through three 50-plus-yard field goals, including an ASU record and career-long 59-yarder in the fourth quarter. Senior punter Matt Haack had a good day as well, averaging over 50 yards per kick — highlighted by a booming 76-yarder that sailed into the end zone.

Reach the reporter at mtonis@asu.edu or follow @Tonis_The_Tiger on Twitter.

×