Leave meal swipes behind and check out these local restaurants

Places to eat that suit every college student's needs

Camp McIntire, a sophomore studying family and human development at ASU, takes a cusotmer’s order at Original Geno’s Pizza in Tempe, Arizona, on Monday, Nov. 7, 2016.

Eating at the dining hall or at the usual places that accept M&G can get repetitive and boring. Thankfully, Tempe is home to a number of restaurants to suit every college student's needs. So take a break from your meal plan and take a chance on some of these restaurants:

Wallet Friendly: 

Dilly’s Deli

Being a college student comes with a harsh reality: You’re broke. Switch it up from the usual routine of eating free event meals and cheap fast food restaurants by stopping in at Dilly’s Deli, a nearby sandwich shop. With most of their sandwiches priced under $8, your wallet won’t be taking much of a beating. It's local, the food is fresh and it's not Subway.

All-Nighter: 

Xtreme Bean

All-nighters are just inevitable in college. To help you combat sleepiness, visit Xtreme Bean. Located on Southern Avenue and McClintock Drive, this 10-year-old coffee shop runs 24 hours during weekends and is open late on weekdays so that you can grab some caffeine to help you keep going throughout the night. They also frequently have bands and singers preform throughout the week. So if you need a little break and some coffee after a long night of cramming, Xtreme Bean is a great option.

Read Chelsey H.'s review of Xtreme Bean Coffee on Yelp

Original Geno’s Pizza

Now that you have your coffee to help you stay up, you also need a bite to eat to keep you going. A pizza place that is open until 4 a.m. on weekdays is Original Geno’s Pizza. If you can’t spare the time from your studying to eat in, they offer delivery and a drive-thru that is open until close. Their menu ranges from pizza, subs, salads and even desserts. If you happen to be staying up on a Wednesday night, take Geno’s up on their Wild Wednesdays special which offers you a large one-topping pizza for just $4.99.

There are really only a handful of restaurants close to Tempe that are open past 10 p.m. and even less on other ASU campuses.

Lauren Lee, a non-profit leadership and management freshman, said she sees that most restaurants for college students are not open late enough, especially because of how late students stay up doing homework.

"Hours is a big thing living in Phoenix because pretty much everything closes at or near 11," Lee said.

Quick Bite Between Class: 

DP Dough

Running from class to class can make it pretty difficult for a student to have enough time to sit down and eat. DP Dough, which is just a 7-minute walk from campus and an even shorter car ride, serves calzones for college students that are in a time crunch. DP Dough makes it easy for students to quickly get hot food on the go. They also have an option to order online so that your order will be ready once you walk in the door.

A freshman who is studying nursing, Tristen Young, spoke about how DP Dough distributed coupons at the beginning of the school year.

“I’ve been meaning to go there," Young said. "They have coupons there for free cookies, plus it sounds good.”

Hangover Remedy: 

Sunny's Diner

Waking up and realizing that you have a hangover is not a great way to start your morning. However, Sunny’s Diner is here to help. This breakfast place is open until 3 p.m., so if you slept in because you had a little too much fun the night before, no worries. Sunny’s Diner also offers the option for delivery, if getting up out of bed just doesn't seem possible.

Healthy Devil: 

D’Lite Healthy On The Go

Attempting to eat healthy is a struggle for many college students who are juggling a full and hectic schedule. However, D’Lite Healthy On The Go offers many health-conscious and vegetarian options for students. They use many local ingredients and are structured like a fast food restaurant with a drive-thru so that you can get in and out quickly.

Anita Daryanani, a vegetarian and kinesiology major, said she looks for more healthy choices when choosing where she is going out to eat.

“I’m vegetarian since college began so it is an option for me," Daryanani said. "I am kind of health-conscious so I look into fresh options."

Date Night: 

Gangnam Sushi & Grill

If you are planning on taking someone out for a night, check out Gangnam Sushi & Grill. They offer a warm low-key atmosphere and options other than just sushi if raw fish isn’t your thing. Their prices are fair for a sushi restaurant, so you won’t be breaking the bank because of a date. Takeout is also an option.

Reach the reporter at mmbaiett@asu.edu or follow @marcellabaietto on Twitter.

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×