Looking for thought-provoking art? Don't miss these five exhibitions leaving the Valley in November

Check out these five shows displayed around Phoenix and Tempe before they close this month

Viewers interact with Alejandro Almanza Pereda's still life works during "Encounter: Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all," an exhibition which runs until Nov. 26 at the ASU Art Museum.

The 2016 holiday season will bring a flurry of artistic events around the Valley, from festive art shows to holiday-themed activities. But galleries only have so much wall space, and the addition of new exhibitions means that some current shows must go.

Check out these five shows displayed around Phoenix and Tempe before they close this month:

1. "Encounter: Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all"

As the third exhibition in the "Encounter" series, interdisciplinary artist Alejandro Almanza Pereda brought his still life work to the ASU Art Museum. He created an exhibition where he combined his own pieces with still life art from the museum's existing collection. 

Pereda's exhibition runs through Nov. 26. The ASU Art Museum is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Admission is free. For more information, check out the ASU Events page

2. “Respite. – A Group Show"

Five artists combined their works to create an exhibition aiming to "reflect on human moments," according to the exhibit's website. Recent ASU alum Daniel Mariotti curated the pieces, which include works of photography, drawing, charcoal, paint, pencil, fabric-and-wire sculpture, drywall and film, to tell a story of peace and chaos.

The exhibition runs at Modified Arts on Roosevelt Street through Nov. 12. 

3. "Vietnam: A Window to War Photographic Exhibit"

Photographer and veteran James R. Thompson aims to show the many sides of the conflict in Vietnam through his compilation of photos and items he collected while serving with the U.S. Army in South Vietnam over 40 years ago.

His work is now displayed in the Fletcher Library on ASU's West campus — but only through Nov. 30. The exhibition is free and open to the public; more information can be found here.

4. "INFOCUS PhotoBid"

The Phoenix Art Museum will be hosting a silent auction on Nov. 17 featuring New York City auctioneer Rick Wester, and "more than 30 signed, limited edition photographic prints by acclaimed photographers from Arizona and the United States," according to its website. The featured artists are all recent MFA graduates and current MFA students from ASU and UA in an effort to encourage up-and-coming artists.

For art lovers who don't have a bottomless wallet, the prints can be viewed prior to the auction at the Norton Gallery, with entrance included in general museum admission. For those interested in attending the auction, discounted advance tickets are available here

5. "JIM WAID: Terra Incognita"

Arizona painter Jim Waid is presenting his abstract landscape work at the Bentley Gallery, timed with the release of a new coffee table book featuring 140 full-page images from his 50 years of artistry. His work mixes elements from Abstract Expressionism to Color Field painting and Victorian botanicals.

The exhibition runs through Nov. 12, so check it out before it closes. For more information, visit the Bentley Gallery website.

Correction: Due to a reporting error, the hours of the ASU Art Museum were incorrectly stated. The museum is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. The story has been updated to reflect the change. 

Reach the reporter at skylar.mason@asu.edu or follow @skylarmason42 on Twitter.

×