Invading the future: ASU film club to host a two-day 'Minority Report' event

Hollywood Invades Tempe to host a two-day event filled with sci-fi entertainment, Q&A's with top producers and discussing what the future will hold in 50 years

Tom Cruise in "Minority Report."

Tom Cruise in "Minority Report."

"Minority Report" is heading to Tempe, thanks to Hollywood Invades Tempe. The club is hosting a two-day event Nov. 17 and 18 on the ASU Tempe campus that is promising to 'invent the future all over again.'

Thursday Nov. 17 kicks off HIT's event with a discussion of "Minority Report" with the film's producer, Walter Parkes. Students can head over to Old Main at 12 p.m. to hear one of Hollywood's most successful producers who has worked on "Men in Black""Gladiator" and many other iconic movie masterpieces.

Andrew Hanks is the president of HIT and also a huge fan when it comes to films like "Minority Report". Hanks said the idea of Parkes coming to ASU was something the club quickly decided to pursue.

"The idea came from Professor Adam Collis at Film Spark," Hanks said. "He wanted to bring out legendary producer, Walter Parkes, for an event and then it grew from there. He turned the idea into a re-creation of the original "Minority Report" Ideas Summit."

The film is based on what director Steven Spielberg, Parkes and a team of engineers, futurists and artists predicted what the future would be like. The group's ideas and thoughts on what the future was presumed to hold was what helped Spielberg and Parkes create "Minority Report."

The Thursday festivities continue with a screening of "Minority Report" at 6:30 p.m. in the Harkins Valley Art Theater, which is located right off campus on Mill Avenue. The film is followed by a Q&A session with the minds behind the film.

The club has put on many events before in the past such as a screening of "Straight Outta Compton" with the film's producer, to a Q&A session with the co-creator of "American Dad". However, this is the first time the club is putting on a two-day event that the team hopes to be impacting not just to film fans, but students interested in the future.

"I'm excited to bring an event to ASU that can reach to a wider audience of students and the public," Hanks said. "There is also a large focus on student engagement with your guest speakers, so I'm excited to watch those interactions."

Friday, Nov. 18 is the day that will live up to the promise that they've been broadcasting for the past couple of weeks. All day the club will have sessions with the visionary team from the movie as well as ASU professors and students that will help predict 50 years into the future.

Having a panel of great minds coming up with what the future holds for the world in the next few decades is something that the club, especially its secretary, Rachel Javorsky, is looking forward to. Javorsky, a sophomore film student, said great minds like Parkes and other members of this special team talking with fellow students and professors is something really unique about the event.

"This event is watching the same minds that collaborated on the first film do it all over again," Javorsky said. "It will be awesome to watch them conceptualize like they did for the first film."

Friday will have two sessions with the panel so more people can have the opportunity to witness and partake in this exciting discussion.

Students interested in the film's process of predicting the future to shape the movie as well as what Hollywood what will be like in the years to come is a topic that the panelists are predicted to cover throughout the two days.

Sophomore film student Brooke Wakenhut, director of social media for HIT, said not only is she curious on what the guests have to say about the future, but what it holds for filmmakers.

"I am expecting that our collaboration with the creators of Minority Report will help shape the future of filmmaking for me," Wakenhut said. "I expect to gain as much knowledge as possible about what the world will look like in the future so I can apply it to my future films."

For those who are not as fanatic for films as some of the attendees anticipated for the event, the discussions with Parkes and the visionary team will hold a interesting outlook on what to expect in the next 50 years. 

Plus, all the events are free thanks to the club and other ASU organizations.

Spots are filling up fast for both days' events and people can RSVP on the club's website. Check out HIT's Facebook and Twitter for more updates about the two-day event as well as plans for future Q&A and panels the club is hosting.

Reach the reporter at jhaynie1@asu.edu or follow @jilli_haynie on Twitter.

×