ASU women's soccer ends season with 1-0 loss to rival Arizona

The Sun Devils finished their season with a conference record of 1-9-1

ASU freshman forward Olivia Hernandez (11) fights off two Wildcat defenders to try and get a shot off in the first half of a game versus the Arizona Wildcats in Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Nov. 4, 2016.

It was the same old song and dance for ASU women's soccer as the team lost to in-state rival Arizona, 1-0, in the final game of the season Friday.

The Sun Devils' (6-11-2, 1-9-1 Pac-12) loss to the Wildcats (9-9-1, 3-8 Pac-12) at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium ended a disappointing 2016-17 season that was riddled with injury.

Redshirt senior midfielder Lucy Lara embraced fellow senior defender Mckenzie Grossman after the game as the realization that both had just finished their final contest at ASU came full-circle. They fell to their knees intertwined in a hug, using their jerseys to wipe away the tears.

“I am super overwhelmed with emotion because that was my last game and I am going to miss these girls so much,” Lara said.

Grossman said it feels like just yesterday that she played her first game, and also believes this was a good year to rebuild and give younger players experience.

“It’s never easy going out with a loss your last game of your career,” Grossman said. “I think next year they are going to make a huge leap.”

Junior forward Jazmarie Mader and junior midfielder Aly Moon were both sidelined with concussions. Lara also missed multiple games during the season due to injury. The last time all three players were on the pitch together was during the first conference game against UCLA in September.

“We got massively derailed when we lost Jaz and Aly Moon,” head coach Kevin Boyd said.

The Sun Devils tried to adjust throughout the season to the massive blow of losing three offensive standouts. During the game against Arizona, Boyd said his team played hard, but it wasn’t enough.

“It’s the same script over and over,” Boyd said. “We play well and create the best chances and we lose the game because we don’t score.”

ASU took five shots in the first half with two being on goal. Arizona took seven shots with four being on goal in the opening period. 

Junior forward Jessica Raybe, freshman Olivia Hernandez, Grossman and Lara all recorded shots in the first half but could not prevail.

Arizona scored the lone goal of the game in the 65th minute off a corner kick from junior midfielder Cali Crisler. Crisler launched the ball into the box and it was immediately met by the head of freshman defender Samantha Falasco, who punched it past redshirt junior goalkeeper Megan Delaney.

Lara said ending her season this way obviously wasn’t ideal, but also made sure to tell her returning teammates that time goes by faster than they think.

“Don’t take anything for granted,” Lara said. “Play every game like its your last.”

Reach the reporter at kcvalen1@asu.edu or follow @kvalenzuela17 on Twitter.

×