Brotherhood fosters into endless potential for ASU wrestling

Anthony and Zahid Valencia are both three-time state wrestling champions in California

Zahid and Anthony Valencia prepare to wrestle during practice on Tuesday Nov. 15, 2016, at the Riches Wrestling Complex in Tempe, Arizona.

Most things worth while take a long time to perfect. 

That was the case with ASU wrestling teammates and brothers Anthony and Zahid Valencia, who started their wrestling careers with 1-18 and 4-24 records respectively. 

"My uncle was a wrestler growing up," redshirt freshman Anthony Valencia said. "My dad played baseball but he use to watch him all the time and that's how he started liking the sport. He's like, when you have kids they're going to be wrestlers." 

The Valencia's were born to wrestle by transforming the passion of their father into a lifestyle that has created many successes for them thus far in their lives.

Wrestling in California for St. John Bosco high school was no challenge for the Valencia's once they improved on their abilities, which progressed into both becoming three-time state champions.

Dominating on a scale of that level not only got them noticed by many division one schools, but also listed the duo as the top wrestlers in the country by multiple rating agencies.

"What made Zahid and Anthony attractive to ASU Wrestling was their commitment to become the best in the world," head coach Zeke Jones said. "Their whole lives have been committed to the pursuit of that goal." 

A tall task? Yes. Out of reach? No chance if you ask the Valencias. 

They credit their budding sibling rivalry and constant presence around each other as a key to their ascension to the top of the collegiate wrestling world.

"Both of us are super competitive," redshirt freshman Zahid Valencia said. "Whoever gets the most take-downs in a tournament or in like practice we get in a couple fights. Just trying to see who's the best in the room or tournament. It was really good cause it got both of us better."

A sport such as wrestling where it is "mono y mono" every time you step on the mat can be intense to say the least. Not everyone is built for the demands that wrestling entails, but the Valencias bring a different type of aesthetic that is not seen in most wrestling rooms, or at least not the ones that Jones is in.

"I've had seven sets of brothers wrestle for me over my coaching career," Jones said. 

"Sets of brothers bring a unique perspective to the team," he added. "One is their love and passion for each other and wanting to help each other. They do work together to make each other better. But sometimes their sibling rivalry kicks in, and they'll go after each other like it's life and death. They can draw blood it's that fierce." 

Jones describes the Valencia's dynamic perfectly, but keep in mind that they did have an entire year off of standard competition by redshirting their first year in Tempe.

During this time, the brothers honed in on their craft by getting back to the basics and simply adjusting to their settings.

"I think we grew a lot in our technique," Zahid said. "A lot more comfortable with the coaches even with our teammates and stuff like that." 

The Valencia's have been around the block a few times in terms of wrestling practices, competitions, cutting weight, lifting, etc. But on Saturday, they will face their first big test of the season when ASU hosts the No. 2 Ohio State Buckeyes for their first home match of the year.

For most people this would be a huge moment in their life. For the Valencia's, this is merely the next step in getting closer to the ultimate goal — one that is the same for both of them. 

"It's being the best I can be," Zahid said. "If that's winning four NCAA Championships, coming out World Champ, Olympic Champ, those are my goals."

Reach the reporter at thandlan@asu.edu or follow @Tyler_Handlan on Twitter.

×