Sun Devil hockey dismisses Jordan Masters

ASU hockey has cut ties with sophomore forward Jordan Masters, despite him leading the team in scoring last season.

Freshman forward Jordan Masters (17) brings the puck past the neutral zone in the first period against Yale on Friday, Jan. 8, 2016, at Gila River Arena in Glendale. The Bulldogs defeated the Sun Devils 4-0.

Amid an up-and-down collegiate hockey career, ASU hockey sophomore forward Jordan Masters was dismissed from the program, the team said Thursday.

Masters, who led his team last season in points (22), goals (8) and assists (14), was let go for undisclosed reasons. He had already missed the first nine games of this season for reasons that the team kept "internal."

"We just came to the conclusion that it wasn't the right fit and we wish him all the best," head coach Greg Powers said.

No further comment was immediately available.

Masters often made headlines last season, playing on the Sun Devils' top lines as the points leader and even scoring the first hat trick in program history. At the year's end, he was nominated for the 2016 Hobey Baker Memorial Award, which recognizes the top player in college hockey.

Masters was also the subject of a State Press feature that explored his career's ties to his late brother. In that story, Powers said he was "proud" of his promising young forward, who "exceeded expectations." Now, the player who once looked to be a key part of Sun Devil hockey's future will be absent from the lineup.

He finishes this 2016-17 season with two goals and two assists in eight games played to go with 22 shots on goal and a -4 rating.

Reach the reporter at matthew.layman@asu.edu or follow @Mattjlayman on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×