ASU women's golf back in the swing of things

The Sun Devils are beginning preparations for their spring 2017 schedule

Junior Monica Vaughn assesses her putt on the ninth hole on Friday, April 8, 2016 during the 2016 Ping ASU Invitational at Karsten Golf Course in Tempe, Arizona.

Second semester is underway, and the ASU women’s golf team is preparing to tee it up once again in 2017. 

“We’re back to our 20 hours and playing and practicing,” head coach Missy Farr-Kaye said in an interview Wednesday. “I think there’s still maybe a little bit rusty in some areas, but I think in a couple weeks, we’ll be back to be ready to compete again.”

For senior Monica Vaughn, spring 2017 will be her last go-around.

“It’s gone by so fast and I feel like I’ve had so many good memories with this team,” Vaughn said. “Time just flies and I think this last season is going to be my best season yet here.”

When asked why this would be her best season, Vaughn said the team had great energy and they are all focused in on one goal: winning a National Championship.

ASU finished 2016 ranked No. 14 in the nation. 

Vaughn said this team is different from previous squads she has been a part of due to the amount of talent on the roster. 

“We have some of the top players in the world right now,” Vaughn said. “I think what makes this season different is that this is one our greatest chances to win as a team right now.”

The team held its first official practice last Monday.

“It’s good to have everyone back,” junior Sophia Zeeb said. “Even though we do practice on our own, it’s still nice to ask others for a little match and just help each other out, be there to support each other.”

Women’s golf's last competition happened in October, when ASU placed first in the Pac-12 Preview in Hawaii, just edging out in-state rival Arizona by three points.

“Our last tournament, we were really good on the course since we were playing back-to-back,” Zeeb said. “We waved, we supported each other and that’s when we play the best.”

ASU's next competition will come on Jan. 29, when it faces the Denver Pioneers at Superstition Mountain.

Vaughn said the one thing she would like to do when facing the Pioneers is enjoy the moment.

“I feel like so many tournaments have gone by where I maybe have just kind of put it past me and not really been right in the moment,” Vaughn said. “That’s what I want to work on this spring is enjoying all my time out there.”

Reach the reporter at michael.baron@asu.edu or follow @Michael_Baron96 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×