Laugh your Monday blues away with Tempe Late Night comedy show

Tempe Late Night is back for another season, with new members and new jokes every Monday

Tempe Late Night introductions

Club president Colton Loving introduces Tempe Late Night crew before the show begins on Feb. 6, 2017.

Tempe Late Night, the largest of the four ASU comedy troupes, opened their fourth season with several new members on Monday.

What began as four students telling jokes in a classroom is now a weekly production of improv, stand-up and original skits, boasting 18 cast members and 11 students who film and edit the show. Every Monday from 8-9:30 p.m., the TLN crew performs new content at the Memorial Union basement stage. Shows are free and open to the public.

"Tempe Late Night is a variety show in the style of poor man's Saturday Night Live," Colton Loving, a creative writing and Latin senior and president of TLN said. "We have original sketches, improv games, stand up ... it's energetic and fun."

This clip is from the first ever Tempe Late Night show in Fall 2015:

Editor's Note: The above video contains foul language and crude humor.

The troupe has cast members from a wide variety of majors, backgrounds and ages, all brought together by their love of comedy and performing.

"This is our creative outlet," Loving said. "We have a very wide mix of majors, and everyone has their own specialty — you can spend all day thinking about engineering or math, and then come here and have a place to be creative."

Forbes Shannon, a founding member of the club and ASU alumni, said he wanted Tempe Late Night to be "a place for students to come together and express themselves, free of the academic code of conduct," and his vision has endured.

The members of TLM said that they wanted to stress that anyone interested should come to shows and consider auditioning next semester. For those not interesting in telling jokes, the club always needs students to take photos, film and edit performances.

Anna Russell, interdisciplinary studies sophomore and a new member this season, said she heard about TLN through mutual friends and decided to take the risk and audition this semester.

"I'd never been on a stage until I went up there to audition," Russell said. "But I've always liked comedy and sketches, and now I'm working on writing stand-up of my own."

Spencer Shockness, a freshman studying management, auditioned for TLN shortly after arriving on campus last fall. He had been on his high school improv team in his senior year, and said he was searching for a way to continue his passions at the University but didn't know how.

"I met the Tempe Late Night crew at Passport [to ASU] and thought, 'You know what, I'm not funny but I should just go for it' ... and I did," he said. "The night I got my callback was the most magical night of my life."

Shockness writes one original skit a week for the show and said he spends about eleven hours rehearsing and performing over the week with TLN. However, he said he enjoys every second of it and hopes to continue with the show for several years.

"It's very flexible — I work two jobs, do another comedy troupe and keep up with my schoolwork," Shockness said. "You can manage it, you just have to love it."

Shockness said he urges his friends and anyone else who might be interested to take a chance and audition, even if they don't think they're funny or if they think they won't get in.

"Go and do something you love — people will notice," he said.

Auditions have closed for season four, but interested students can audition for season five in Fall 2017 — and attend the show or watch it online.

Related links:

'Tempe Late Night' brings fresh comedy to campus through both a live and internet show

Here comes the director: Tempe Late Night's season finale to be filmed on Monday

Reach the reporter at cagoldin@asu.edu or follow @auruming on Twitter.

×