ASU on track to be No. 1 in the US for research

ASU's numerous research labs facilities promote student-faculty research

ASU's Biodesign Institute is pictured on Oct. 26, 2016.

ASU's title as " No. 1 in the U.S. for innovation" is well known among the student body, but is that all we're known for?

After receiving the distinguished award from the U.S News & World Report two years in a row, the text “No. 1 in the U.S. for innovation” has been plastered on every sign, bus, and building here at ASU to remind students and visitors to take pride in this prestigious title.

However, innovation isn't our only quality. ASU is also home to numerous research labs, including the prestigious Biodesign Institute known for its research in biomedicine, sustainability and security. Researchers at Biodesign are pioneers in advanced research and discovery and extend the opportunity to eager students as well.

Biodesign Ten Year Signature-HD from Biodesign Institute at ASU on Vimeo.

ASU's Biodesign Institute recently completed the largest microRNA study after developing a high-throughput system called "3' LIFE." Researchers at the Biodesign Institute, with the help of student researchers, discovered that misregulation of microRNAs are the masterminds behind diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and autism.

This study, which revealed valuable information regarding these devastating diseases couldn't have been completed without the Biodesign Institutes' fantastic research facility and incredible research mentors. 

Professor Hugh Mason, associate professor at the Biodesign Institute and college of liberal arts and sciences is always eager to take in student interns to work in his lab that focuses on the studies of immunotherapy, vaccines and virotherapy. 

"Students get the benefit of observing how faculty and senior students approach problems to design testable hypotheses in a lab— the faculty, by investing time and effort to train students, benefit by enabling their own research," Mason said.

Traditional coursework can only impact a student so much. Applying classroom knowledge to a lab or other research position allows students to completely assimilate and apply that information on another level. 

Research can also lead to a better understanding and deeper appreciation for the subject under investigation and aid students in choosing future career options. 

Students are encouraged to take advantage of resources across campus geared to ensuring their success and providing them with opportunities to implement their intellectual curiosity and satisfy their thirst for discovery.

But research doesn't only advance a student's knowledge, it can help students establish a relationship with a faculty member and help them benefit from their wisdom, knowledge and expertise. Faculty also benefit from student questions, the energy they bring and their keen desire to mentally challenge themselves. 

ASU's title as "No. 1 in the U.S. for innovation" has a new competitor: research. And with the vast amount of research opportunities available at the university for students across all disciplines, the university could soon be known as "No. 1 in the U.S. for research." 

via GIPHY

Reach the columnist at yasmine.mian@asu.edu or follow  @yasminemian on Twitter.

Like  The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter.

×