ASU softball takes its first loss in pitcher's duel with Boston College

A final out at the plate squashed the Sun Devils' comeback bid as they dropped a 3-2 home decision

Sophomore outfielder Skylar McCarty (1) runs to third base during a game against Purdue at Alberta B. Farrington Softball Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, Feb. 10, 2017. The Sun Devils won the game, 3-0.

With the bases loaded, two outs and a two-run deficit, sophomore outfielder Skylar McCarty gave her ASU softball team just what it needed: a hit.

At that point, as the ball looped into left field off of her bat, it seemed — even to McCarty — like she had tied the game for the Sun Devils.

But Boston College junior outfielder Annie Murphy had other plans.

With a missile from left field, Murphy beat a streaking junior Nichole Chilson by what seemed like a mile, delivering No. 21 ASU softball its first loss of the young season by a final of 3-2 in the last game of the Littlewood Classic Monday night at Farrington Stadium. 

"I feel like we're fighters," McCarty said. "We didn't give up. We went in 3-0 in the last inning and we weren't out of it. We're never out of a game, we thought we were coming back, we were going to win that game. It takes everyone, all 19 of us."

It was in the sixth inning that the Eagles scored the game's go-ahead run, breaking through with two outs as junior designated hitter Jordan Chimento slapped an RBI single into right center to drive in sophomore center fielder Lexi DiEmmanuelle.

They picked up two more runs in the top of the seventh on a rally started by a bunt single by senior right fielder Taylor Coroneos. 

"We have a lot of kids that ... this is their first year playing, so sometimes you have to learn those tough losses," ASU Head Coach Trisha Ford said. "As a coach obviously you would like to just be able to talk about it and not have to live it, but we had to live it tonight. Hats off to Boston College, they came out ready to go."

Junior pitcher Breanna Macha (2-1, 1.27 ERA), who had allowed just one run through four prior appearances this season – in her first start against Virginia – found her command early on against the Eagles (7-3.) She allowed just two batters to reach base through four innings. 

The junior ended up going for a complete game, during which she allowed nine hits to go with the three earned runs and also struck out a pair of batters. Unfortunately for Macha, the run support wasn't all there, which ended up being the major difference for the Sun Devils come crunch time.

"Defense and pitching were amazing tonight," senior shortstop Chelsea Gonzales said. "(Macha) pitched her butt off, just hitting, we need to make adjustments early on." 

Boston College, of course, wasn't the only team that had trouble figuring out the opposing pitcher early on. ASU failed to get much going throughout the game, squandering a couple of key chances to get runs across the plate.

In the bottom of the second, senior shortstop found herself on third base after back-to-back stolen bases with just one out, but Boston College junior starting pitcher Jessica Dreswick struck out the next two batters to keep things scoreless through two. 

The Sun Devils then got some two-out hitting in the third inning at the leadoff spot from McCarty – who advanced to second on a passed ball – but once again squandered the opportunity to affect the scoreboard. 

Gonzales, ASU's leading hitter with an average of .500 entering Monday's game, had three of the Sun Devils' five hits during the game. 

"I thought Chelsea Gonzales had a heck of a game today, she came out ready to play," Ford said. "I would say overall that our efforts at the plate were pretty meek."

ASU will be back in action for the first time away from home when they visit Palm Springs, California, for a set of games at the Mary Nutter Classic. The Sun Devils first game of five throughout the weekend will also feature their first ranked opponent, the No. 17 Texas A&M Aggies, on Friday at 10 a.m.

Fueled by the bitter taste of a tough first loss, Ford knows her team will be ready come Friday morning.

"I think (this loss) puts us in a good spot," Ford said. "We get a little bit more hungry, get a little bit more chip on our shoulder, focus in a little more. We're going to get back, tomorrow's their day off, Wednesday and Thursday practice pretty hard and then get after it."

Reach the reporter at jeff.griffith21@asu.edu or follow @Jeff_Griffith21 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×