ASU track and field pulls out personal bests at weekend invitational

After a week off from competition, the Sun Devils participated in their first two-day meet of the season this weekend

ASU's Maggie Ewan winds up in the second flight of the women's hammer throw during the first day of the 2016 Pac-12/Big Ten Invitational track meet at Sun Angel Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Friday, March 25, 2016.

ASU track and field continued a strong start to the season at the the Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational over the weekend where several athletes set personal records.

The invitational featured many Division I programs but was not an officially scored meet. ASU head coach Greg Kraft said the formality of the weekend-long competition presented a unique challenge for his athletes. 

"When we go to Nebraska, it really simulates a championship event because of the two-day format,” Kraft said before the tournament through Sun Devil Athletics. “Our athletes will have an opportunity to compete on Friday and then come back on Saturday. That's really one of the attractions of this meet."

The star of day one for the Sun Devils was redshirt junior Maggie Ewen, who set a new personal best in the weight throw at 21.04 meters. Her prior record (20.68) came at the 2016 NAU tune-up. 

Ewen also won the shot put on Saturday with a throw of 17.25 meters.

“On the women’s side, Maggie is clearly the star of the team,” Kraft said.

On the track, freshman Michael Coccia took fifth in the men’s mile on Saturday with a time of 4:15.59, besting his time of two weeks ago at the Aggie Invitational, where he clocked 4:17.78.

“On the men’s side, I think it was steady and even,” Kraft said. “We started yesterday with the weight throw, and Kyle Long had a lifetime best ... and getting a couple nice miles out of Michael Coccia and Brandon Boys was also good to see."

Back on the field, redshirt senior Kyle Long improved upon a personal best he achieved early this season in the weight throw. Long broke that record on Friday with a throw of 19.24 meters.

"We’ll have a big weekend in New Mexico and Iowa State this week," Kraft said.  "And then we’ll have a pretty good idea of what our team looks like for the Mountain Pacific Championships.”

The Sun Devils' next meet is Saturday, Feb. 11, at the Don Kirby Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Reach the reporter at jzaklis@gmail.com and follow @JoshZaklis on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×