ASU football gets a glimpse of coming season in first day of spring practice

Sun Devil football started their first day of spring practice with an "embarrassment of riches" at quarterback

ASU Sun Devils quarterback Manny Wilkins (5) celebrates with teammates after a victory against the California Golden Bears in Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona, on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016.

ASU football began spring practice Tuesday morning at the Kajikawa Practice Fields in Tempe.

After a disappointing 5-7 campaign in 2016, the Sun Devils were ready to get off to a new start — and there's one thing that has the offensive players buzzing: the quarterback competition at camp.

"I tell you, it's a bevy of talent, it's an embarrassment of riches," redshirt sophomore wide receiver Ryan Newsome said. "It's exciting, it's not normal to have six guys that can all potentially play and start."

ASU has six quarterbacks on it's roster: redshirt sophomore Brady White, redshirt sophomore Bryce Perkins, redshirt junior Manny Wilkins, redshirt sophomore Blake Barnett, freshman Ryan Kelley and sophomore Dillon Sterling-Cole.

While all the quarterbacks have intrigue surrounding them, Barnett will command the most attention.

Barnett transferred to ASU from Alabama last season — he was the top ranked quarterback of the 2015 recruiting class and was the Alabama starter in the first game of the season, before getting benched in that game.

"Blake out there, he looks like a real quarterback," senior running back Demario Richard said. "Real tall and lengthy, he can sling it a little bit. He kind of reminds me of Berc (former ASU quarterback Mike Bercovici) a little bit, you know with his mannerisms and his communication."

However, it's no guarantee that Barnett will be the starter. Wilkins was the starter for most of last season, while White and Perkins were both in the competition for the starting job last off-season.

But his addition to the quarterback carousel will make things more interesting.

Aside from the quarterbacks, the coaching staff also has a new look. 

Billy Napier replaced Chip Lindsey as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. Napier coached alongside Barnett at Alabama working as the wide receiver coach with the Crimson Tide.

Phil Bennett is the new defensive coordinator and Michael Slater now coaches the defensive line. Rob Sale and Rob Likens coach the offensive line and wide receivers, respectively. Head coach Todd Graham will enter his sixth year at the helm.

NOTES:

Safety Armand Perry has been ruled out of spring practice due to a surgery, according to ASU head coach Todd Graham.

Although Brady White is out of spring practice with a foot injury he suffered last season, he was still participating in drills, specifically throwing to tight ends in individual drills. He still had a slight limp, though.

Former Sun Devil tight end Grant Martinez now serves as a graduate assistant for the team.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×