ASU men's swim and dive team kicks off NCAA Championships dominantly

Two days into the NCAA Championships, the Sun Devils' relay team has shined

The ASU swim team starts a relay race on Friday, Jan. 20, 2017.

The ASU men's swimming and diving team began its NCAA Championships on Wednesday. The Sun Devil relay teams have scored every point for ASU in the first two days of competition and the men have already surpassed the women by 12 points.

Day 1: Sun Devils finish day one in top-20

The ASU men’s swim and dive team began competition at the NCAA Championships in Indianapolis, Indiana on Wednesday.

The Sun Devils placed 15th in the evening’s only event — the 800-yard freestyle relay.

Freshmen Cameron Craig, senior Thomaz Martins, and juniors Patrick Park and Barkley Perry made up ASU’s relay team.

With a time of 6:17.57, the Sun Devils scored four points. By scoring four points today ASU has already doubled the amount of points they put up in last year’s championships.

Head coach Bob Bowman said he was pleased with the men’s performance on night one of college swimming’s biggest stage.

“I’m pleased that we started the meet on a positive note and scored more points than the entire meet last year,” Bowman said. “Our program of events gets better each day, so we are looking forward to tomorrow.”

While the Sun Devils started the competition on a high note, they will look to keep up with the rest of the Pac-12, which has four teams placed in the top-15.

The men will attempt to continue representing ASU and the Pac-12 respectively on Thursday.

Thursday evening’s events will consist of the 200-yard freestyle relay, 500-yard freestyle, 200-yard individual medley, 50-yard freestyle and the 400-yard medley relay.

The divers will also get the opportunity to score points in the 1-meter dive.

Day 2: ASU relay teams shine on long day

The Sun Devils added 30 more points and moved up to 14th place after day two of the NCAA Championships.

ASU’s 200-yard freestyle relay team was comprised of freshman Cameron Craig, junior Patrick Park, senior Richard Bohus and graduate student Andrew Porter.

Bohus and Craig also participated in the 400-yard medley relay team — junior Christian Lorenz and senior Tadas Duskiness were also a part of the team.

The Sun Devils’ 400-yard medley relay team placed 3rd in the B final and added 12 points to ASU’s total.

Head coach Bob Bowman said the Sun Devils wrapped up day two in a promising fashion.

"We had a great day today setting two school records in the 200 free relay and finishing in 14th place for the day,” Bowman said. “I'm proud of how we raced in finals.”

Sun Devil relay claimed the spotlight in Thursday evening’s races.

The ASU men have already surpassed the womens’ score of 22 points and will look to continue their hot start in the NCAA Championships on Friday.

Friday's events will consist of the 400-yard individual medley, 100-yard fly, 200-yard freestyle, 100-yard breaststroke, 100-yard backstroke, 200-yard medley relay and the divers will perform the 3-meter dive.

Reach the reporter at atotri@asu.edu or follow @Anthony_Totri on Twitter.

×