ASU collaborates research with UA, NAU to improve Interstate 10

The universities are working toward a more efficient, sustainable and safer corridor for freight traffic

DCIM\100MEDIA\DJI_0010.JPG
DCIM\100MEDIA\DJI_0010.JPG

ASU collaborates with UA, NAU to improve Interstate 10 from The State Press on Vimeo.

ASU is collaborating with the University of Arizona and Northern Arizona University to research a more efficient, sustainable and safer Interstate 10 corridor.

The I-10 RIF project, in conjunction with the Arizona Department of Transportation, will focus on various aspects which include sustainable trucking, autonomous vehicles and fuel efficiency.

Michael Kuby, geographical sciences and urban planning professor, is a lead researcher at ASU working on a tool that will provide a more efficient use to gas stations across the I-10. Kuby says the use of the tool will generate pin points on a map that will optimize gas stations, and it invites collaboration across different stakeholders whether that is the trucking companies or fuel station companies.

The project will also look into the resilience of I-10. Samuel Markolf, ASU Wrigley Institute postdoctoral research associate, is investigating the effect of harsh weather on the I-10. Markolf says the challenging part about his research is collecting data.

Contributing: State Press videographer Jordan Evans

Reach the videographer at Abdel.Jimeneztoscuento@asu.edu or follow @abdel1019 on Twitter.

×