ASU quarterback competition may not matter with run-first mentality

Senior running backs Kalen Ballage and Demario Richard will lead the Sun Devils' offense

ASU Sun Devils running back Kalen Ballage (7) takes the field during a football game against the Utah Utes in Sun Devil Stadium on Thursday, Nov. 10, 2016.

Despite the quarterback competition among redshirt-sophomore Blake Barnett and redshirt-junior Manny Wilkins, the Sun Devils are taking a run-first approach.

ASU football’s most intriguing storyline has been the battle under center, but with Barnett and Wilkins each throwing fewer than 10 passes in yesterday's team session it might not matter. Yesterday's practice revealed the Devils are focusing on getting up and down the field inside the tackles.

With senior running backs Kalen Ballage and Demario Richard returning, it’s no surprise the team is doing so much power running.

The duo combined for 17 rushing touchdowns in 2016, and with the team adding star-studded freshman tailback Eno Benjamin the position the group is only improving.

“That’s one of the reasons why I’m here, just to take some knowledge and learn from those two guys,” Benjamin said.

In his senior season alone he rushed for 2,587 yards and 28 touchdowns. During yesterday's practice Benjamin took reps with the second team, which may indicate he won’t be redshirted.

With seniors set to take charge of the back field, it appears the same goes for the offensive line. Leading the group of upperclassmen blockers is senior center A.J. McCollum.

“I believe we are all equally important as a unit. I think all five put together is one position,” McCollum said.

Despite the quarterback battle, McCollum isn’t worried about who’s taking the snap.

“I’m just looking to translate what the coaches are teaching me onto the field,” he said.

The team may have a run-first mentality, but the receivers could be the strongest unit on the field. It’s a group filled with athletes showcasing superior height and breakaway speed. Although a receiver's primary focus is to get open and catch the football, redshirt-freshman wide receiver Frank Darby believes run blocking is crucial for any all-around wide out.

“If I got to lay my life on the line doing that one block for Kalen Ballage to break off and get a touchdown I don’t have no problem with it,” he said.

Darby is one of the team’s faster players, but there are times when he is unable to speed past opposing defensive backs. That’s when ASU’s run-first approach might pay off.

“We know if our receivers are double-covered we can give it to our All-American running backs,” Darby said.

Reach the reporter at atotri@asu.edu or follow @Anthony_Totri on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×