ASU women's volleyball player looks to continue her family's legacy

Alexa Lister transfers to ASU to play for the same school as her father, Alton Lister

AlexaListerPhoto5.jpg

Alexa Lister, an ASU junior majoring in liberal arts & sciences, practices her passes with assistant coach Macey Gardner at the Weatherup Center on ASU's Tempe campus on Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017.

Alexa Lister was born to be a Sun Devil.

Her father, Alton Lister, played basketball for ASU from 1978-1981 and was in the NBA from 1981-1998. After his professional career ended, his number 53 was retired by the Sun Devils.

Head coach Sanja Tomasevic said being a Sun Devil was in the junior middle hitter’s blood.

“We always want people with legacy here,” Tomasevic said. “Even if their parents didn’t play here and they were just students, when the kids bleed Maroon and Gold, it’s always more fun.”

Alexa Lister's introduction to ASU came at a young age. She attended a volleyball camp at the University and even got to meet the head coach of the volleyball team at the time, her father said.

However, Alton Lister thinks the last time she was at ASU, when he was getting his number retired, resonated with her the most. 

“I was like, 'wow, I think that would be awesome to go here one day'," Alexa Lister said. "So now I’m wearing his jersey number.”

Alton Lister's number is only retired in men’s basketball, so Alexa Lister is not breaking any rules by wearing it in volleyball.

“I had (number) 53 all my career in the NBA, also in college at ASU,” Alton Lister said. “I got a lot of mileage out of it, so that was a real treat for me, and a great present.”

For Alton Lister, Alexa Lister picking his number was a pleasant surprise. He didn't know about it until after she had picked it.

“With her last name and the number, (it) just adds to the legacy of the Lister name and the Lister brand, especially when it comes to ASU,” Alton Lister said. 

Yet for Alexa Lister, her legacy did not start at ASU. While she considered becoming a Sun Devil right out of high school, she felt that Louisiana Tech University better suited her needs.

Alexa Lister liked the opportunity that she had at Louisiana Tech because she could help grow the program and build it into something bigger in the world of women’s college volleyball.

Alton Lister said he supported Alexa Lister in her decision to bypass ASU out of high school because it was not right for her at the time. When she decided to transfer last year, she knew ASU was the best option. 

After a conversation with her father, she got the OK to apply, and was offered the opportunity to continue the legacy.

“I had to talk to him about that (transferring to ASU),” Alexa Lister said. “He was like, 'Yeah, that’s awesome, of course I want you to go to the school I went to.'”

Alton Lister, who currently coaches basketball in the Philippines, said that he knew there was a chance Alexa Lister would go to ASU. However, he did not know how much of a possibility that was until it was made official.

“When it actually happened, I talked to her mom about it and I was really happy,” Alton Lister said. “I couldn’t believe it. I was really happy for her.”

Once the decision was made, it was time to start playing volleyball, however, playing time will be limited for Alexa Lister this season.

Because she is a transfer, Alexa Lister will have to sit out this season, but will be able to play in the 2018 and 2019 season for the Sun Devils as a redshirt junior and redshirt senior. But Alexa can still practice with the team, something that Tomasevic said is invaluable to the players.

“Alexa is a huge block and she has a really good arm,” Tomasevic said. “When you have to play against her every day in practice, it is harder to put the ball down.”

Standing at 6 feet 4 inches, the Sun Devils will probably not see players who are as big as Alexa Lister on other teams, so practicing against her will make the players who are eligible to play this season even better, Tomasevic said.

Tomasevic said Alexa Lister has a lot of learning to do because of a position change in the offseason, but she hopes that Alexa Lister will be a starter next year.

The plan is for Alexa Lister to dedicate the rest of the fall, spring and summer to improving her game and learning the new position.

“I expect a lot from her in the future,” Tomasevic said. “But I think she expects a lot from her(self) in the future too.”

If Alexa Lister can follow Tomasevic's plan for her and become a starter, the timing will work out perfectly for Alton Lister, who wants to make it back to ASU to see her play next year.

“That would be one of the biggest treats, to see her playing for my alma mater,” Alton Lister said. “I will definitely be a big supporter of her and the program.”

Reach the reporter at jzaklis@gmail.com and follow @JoshZaklis on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter. 

×