Instant Recap: ASU football pulls away from New Mexico State and wins

The Sun Devils won their 19th consecutive home opener on Thursday

d28d-29e7-6c1d-a0de.jpg

ASU senior running back Kalen Ballage (7) celebrates after a touchdown in a game against New Mexico State the Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona on Thursday, Aug. 31, 2017. ASU won 37-31.

The ASU football team (1-0) got off to a good start in their season opener, defeating the New Mexico State Aggies (0-1) 37-31.

It was the defense who started strong, with redshirt junior cornerback Joey Bryant leaping high to intercept a pass from NMSU quarterback Tyler Rogers. 

The offense made the Aggies pay for their mistake. ASU drove 61 yards through a series of chunk plays that culminated in a seven-yard touchdown rush for senior running back Kalen Ballage

He scored on the play from a makeshift "Sparky" formation where redshirt junior quarterback Manny Wilkins motioned outside so Ballage could take the snap. 

The Sun Devils scored again on their next drive, ending it with a 53-yard touchdown pass to a wide open Jalen Harvey, giving ASU a 14-0 lead with 8:26 left in the first quarter.

But once the second quarter rolled around, the Aggies took control of the game. 

NMSU drove 89 yards to score in an improbable fashion. Words can't do justice to how excellent this catch was, as redshirt senior wide receiver Jaleel Scott snagged a pass with one hand in the back corner of the end zone. 

The Aggies couldn't convert on the extra point, putting them behind 14-6.

While the Sun Devils failed to score in the second quarter, NMSU kept up the offensive attack.

The Aggies tacked on another 89-yard scoring drive. In this instance, it was a series of third down conversions that led NMSU into the red zone.

From there, it was Rogers who scored on a one-yard option run to cut the lead. This time, the Aggies made their extra point and went into halftime, down just 14-13.

ASU came back with a vengeance in the second half, with a 52-yard field goal from freshman kicker Brandon Ruiz, and a 60-yard touchdown pass to redshirt sophomore John Humphrey.

Ironically, Ruiz missed the following extra point, but ASU still led 23-13.

Wilkins was sharp on the next possession. He made multiple accurate throws to extend the drive, one that ended with an untouched Ballage racing into the end zone from 20 yards out, giving the Sun Devils a 30-13 advantage. 

ASU then went up 37-13 with an interception return from sophomore cornerback Kobe Williams. 

NMSU wasn't finished, however. The Aggies cut the lead to 37-25, with two touchdowns from sophomore running back Jason Huntley. They were unsuccessful in both their two-point attempts, giving ASU some breathing room.

In the final seconds of the game, NMSU's Rogers threw a 29-yard touchdown pass to Scott. However, the Aggies were unable to complete the comeback and lost to the Sun Devils 37-31.

Reach the reporter at mpharri7@asu.edu or follow @Harris_Mark7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×