Instant Recap: ASU football secures win against Oregon

The Sun Devils held on to defeat the Oregon Ducks 37-35

football vs Oregon

Redshirt senior linebacker Alani Latu celebrates after Arizona State defeats Oregon 37-35 on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017, at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona.

ASU football beat the Oregon Ducks 37-35, thanks to a late field goal from freshman kicker Brandon Ruiz. 

ASU started the game on defense and made a statement, stuffing the Ducks cold on their opening drive. 

To make matters worse for the Ducks, Oregon freshman punter Adam Stack kicked the ball only 19 yards, and the Sun Devils began their first drive in Ducks territory. 

ASU’s offense took advantage of the great field position. Junior quarterback Manny Wilkins capped off a five-play, 40-yard drive with an 8-yard rushing touchdown and the Sun Devils led 7-0 early in the first quarter.

Oregon quickly answered on its next possession with a 13-yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Justin Herbert to sophomore wide receiver Dillon Mitchell making the score 7-7. 

ASU marched the length of the field on their second possession. Wilkins threw a 15-yard touchdown pass to N'Keal Harry and ASU had the lead again, 14-7.

Then, ASU head coach Todd Graham surprised Oregon with an onside kick and ASU recovered. 

Despite two big plays on the ground, ASU’s drive could only manage a 29-yard field goal by Ruiz.

Oregon moved the ball as far as ASU's 42-yard line, but senior linebacker J’Marcus Rhodes’ first sack of the season ended the first quarter.

The pace slowed in the second quarter, as both defenses started to get their feet underneath them. ASU (6) and Oregon (3) combined for nine straight punts from the 14:52 mark to the 1:53 mark. 

A big hit from redshirt junior Dasmond Tautalatasi stalled what appeared to be Oregon’s final drive before halftime. 

But, redshirt sophomore Ryan Newsome fumbled the ensuing punt and Oregon recovered. A 12-yard touchdown run on the very next play made the score 17-14 ASU and the crowd suddenly quieted. 

After deferring to start the game, ASU began the second half with the ball. 

A 63-yard reception by redshirt junior Jalen Harvey set up the Sun Devils with a first and goal, and Wilkins scored his second rushing touchdown of the game to give ASU a 24-14 lead. 

After ASU’s defense stopped Oregon, Harry broke away from at least four Oregon defenders for a 47-yard catch on ASU’s next drive. Senior running back Demario Richard ran seven yards into the end zone on the next play. ASU led 31-14.

Oregon responded with a 20-yard touchdown pass, Herbert’s second of the game, to freshman Johnny Johnson III. ASU led 31-21 with 9:02 left in the third.

Oregon responded on their very next drive. A penalty allowed the Ducks to get into ASU territory and a 20-yard catch by junior back Tony Brooks-James made the score 31-28 in the middle of the third.

With under two minutes to play in the third, ASU turned the ball over on downs. But junior defensive lineman JoJo Wicker forced Oregon senior back Kani Benoit to fumble and junior linebacker Abe Thompson recovered. 

Backed up on their next drive, Harry caught another deep ball. ASU started the fourth quarter in the red zone but could only manage three points and led 34-28.

After ASU’s offense was stopped on their next drive, Oregon wideout Jacob Breeland avoided ASU tacklers for 51 yards. Two plays later, a short rushing touchdown from Herbert gave Oregon a 35-34 lead.

With under six minutes to go, big plays by Harry and Harvey led to Ruiz's 41-yard field goal and gave ASU a 37-35 lead.

ASU would hold on to beat the Ducks 37-35 in their first conference game of the season. 

Correction: A previous version of this story incorrectly stated ASU played against Oregon State. The article has been updated with the correct information.

Reach the reporter at jpjacqu1@asu.edu or follow @joejacquezaz on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepresssport on Twitter.

×