New Jewish sisterhood organization comes to ASU

JSisters seeks to foster a positive environment for Jewish women

IMG_8702.JPG

The JSisters participate in an ice-breaker game to meet one another on ASU's Tempe campus on Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2017.

As fall began this year, Arizona State University welcomed a new Jewish sisterhood club to campus.

JSisters was established on July 21, 2017 to create a place where Jewish women could bond with other collegiate Jewish girls.

While there are many Jewish organizations at Arizona State University, such as Chabad, Jewish Arizonans on Campus (JAC), Hillel, and Alpha Epsilon Pi, a Jewish fraternity, JSisters is the newest addition.

Getting the club up and running required student collaboration, Debbie Yunker Kail, JSisters club advisor and executive director of Hillel, said in an email.

“We have been missing a dedicated group and space for women to feel a part of something larger that's just for them, and this new club fills that void,” she said.

Kail said this club is designed to foster deeper connections among Jewish women.

“They will be able to learn from each other in so many ways — they will learn about different Jewish observances and upbringings, older students can mentor younger students and overall they can support each other through the college journey,” she said.

Passport to ASU #JewishSisterhood

A post shared by ASU Jewish Sisterhood (@jsistersatasu) on

Kail said that while Jewish students represent only 8 percent of the ASU population, according to Hillel, they have formed several new clubs recently. 

“Overall, this is a way to show the entire campus that the Jewish students at ASU are here," she said. "They are strong, and they are eager to get the most out of their ASU experience."

Yael Domb, club president and a nursing junior, said many girls showed interest in creating a sisterhood similar to a sorority.

“The purpose of the JSisters ... is to bring Jewish women together that share the same values, and bring them together and make new friends and do volunteer service projects together to make a difference in this world,” Domb said.

Domb said religious organizations can present many opportunities to students, and it can make a large university campus a little bit smaller by connecting students with similar religious affiliations.

She said she is excited to connect, network and volunteer with other organizations on campus and within the Jewish community through social events and philanthropy.

The club is open to all enrolled students at ASU and aims to encourage other cultures and religions to start a club on campus. 

Sarah Rimler, director of women’s programming at Chabad at ASU, said something was missing before JSisters came to campus. 

“Through my role here (at ASU), I’ve done all girls events, all girl challah bakes and all girl discussions, but something that was missing was something for the girls, by the girls,” Rimler said. 

Reach the reporter at gabriella.khalaj@asu.edu or follow @gabriellakhalaj on Twitter

×