Students can get many discounts with asu.edu email address

An asu.edu email address unlocks several discounts with online retailers and services

sarena 2.jpg

ASU student Sarena Hanson, a special education freshman, uses Amazon Prime Student in her dorm room on the Tempe campus on Friday, Sept. 8, 2017.

For many, college means taking on a heavy amount of debt. Even so, students at ASU still have their own personal needs and desires, including music, online shopping and software for a variety of classes.

Every student enrolled at Arizona State University is issued an email address that is linked to their MyASU account, allowing them easier access to professors and fellow classmates.

However, students might not know the asu.edu email address offers a handful of discounts through several different companies, including Microsoft, Amazon Prime Student, Apple, Spotify Premium, JetBrains Tools, Gift Hub Education Pack and more.

Jenna Turner, a social work sophomore, said she had never heard of the perks that come along with the address.

“I haven’t heard of any of these before, and I wish someone would have told me," she said. "I use Spotify, and now that I know they offer a discount to students on Premium, I’m going to start using that to my advantage.” 

Sidney Aronsohn, a freshman studying exercise and wellness, said she was very aware of the many discounts that came with her asu.edu address.

Aronsohn said that when ordering online, students can get 10 percent off discount codes with their asu.edu email address from certain companies.

Gym Shark offers a 10 percent discount when signing up with the asu.edu email address, Aronsohn also said.

“I use (the discounts) for Apple Music and Spotify," she said. "I also use my student bank account that I signed up for at orientation through MidFirst banking that is registered with my email for ASU to get discounts when ordering online.” 

Amazon Prime Student gives students with the asu.edu address six months of free shipping. The six-month free Prime trial is courtesy of the cellphone carrier, Sprint. When the six months are over, Amazon continues to offer 50 percent off of Amazon Prime. 

Sarena Hansen, a freshman studying special education, uses Amazon Prime Student frequently.

"I always find that I need to be ordering things online, whether it's for school or just personal," she said, "It's so convenient to have the free shopping and knowing that it will be half-off when the six months' free trial is up is so nice."

Reach the reporter at slapprod@asu.edu or follow @sarahlapp14 on Twitter

Like The State Press on Facebook and follow @statepress on Twitter

×