ASU women's hockey knocks off Colorado State in overtime

The ASU women's hockey team defeated Colorado 4-3 in overtime on Friday night

DSC_8335.jpg

ASU junior forward Taylor England (7) lugs a puck into the zone in the third period of ASU's 4-3 win over CSU on Friday, Oct. 13, 2017 at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe, Arizona.

The ASU women’s hockey team played the Colorado State Rams on Friday night, but by the time the game was over, it was Saturday morning in Tempe.

ASU defeated Colorado State 4-3 in overtime at Oceanside Arena on Friday night in a matchup that began at 10:30 p.m. local time. The victory was ASU’s first overtime win in program history.

“It’s obviously a very exciting win for us in OT,” ASU head coach Lindsey Ellis said. “To be able to get that win at the end was huge for us, but we know tomorrow we can’t let off the brakes.”

The game ended around 1 a.m. when ASU senior defenseman KC McGinley put home a rebound attempt off of a shot from sophomore forward Alyssa Ayers. 

In overtime, ASU was forced to go on the penalty kill after they were assessed a tripping minor midway through overtime. However, being shorthanded did nothing to stop ASU’s offensive pursuits. 

ASU would kill the minor penalty, and then McGinley would take advantage of some open ice. 

“I love mini games,” McGinley said. “That is so fun for me to go into overtime and play like a three-on-three or a four-on-four … since we have so much ice, I feel a lot better about having one person back, so I just went for it and hoped for the best, and it worked out.”

While ASU came up victorious in overtime, the Sun Devils felt Colorado State’s pressure in the third period. ASU was up 2-0 going into the frame, however, a wild 20 minutes would ensue that would see four goals in the period.

Junior forward Alex Reda, junior defenseman Maria King, and sophomore forward Emily Kruger all had goals for the Rams in the third period.

As for ASU, freshman forward Catherine Jones scored the third goal of the game for the Sun Devils. Jones got the start on the top line for ASU on Friday night, and she played alongside senior forward and captain Amber Galles.

Galles and Jones worked in unison all evening long as the two assisted on ASU’s first two goals of the game, and Galles would later assist on Jones’ goal in the third. The goal by Jones was her first of her collegiate career, and it might be her first of many over the next four years for the Sun Devils.

“I needed that. I had a drought, and I wanted to be scoring every game,” Jones said. “That was overwhelming, and I just felt so good.”

As for Galles, she has been the emblem of consistency for ASU this season. The senior captain has notched a point in every single game thus far, including three points in Friday night’s win. 

“Keep my feet moving,” Galles said of her success. “I’m out there every other shift because of the short numbers, so that helps … I kind of pump everyone up, and go hard at the net.”

Galles has eight points in just five games for ASU. She has four goals and four assists in a stellar beginning to her 2017-18 campaign.

“Especially as a captain, to be able to have a point in every single game, that’s huge,” Ellis said. “Her work ethic … that’s why she is a captain and she is just proving why she has a ‘C’.”

Among other notable players, ASU junior forward Taylor England and senior forward Dannika Borges picked up goals while McGinley and sophomore forward Alyssa Ayers picked up assists.

Up next, ASU will have a quick turnaround as they will be right back in action on Oct. 14 at 3:30 p.m.

“Definitely going to get some rest tonight and come back tomorrow ready to go,” Ellis said. “I think it’s all a mental game at this point.”

Saturday afternoon’s game will be ASU’s breast cancer awareness game, and Ellis had a message for Saturday’s festivities at Oceanside Arena.

“We are going to be all wearing our pink uniforms tomorrow,” Ellis said. “Come and pink the rink.”

Reach the reporter at atbell1@asu.edu or follow @AndrewBell7 on Twitter.

Like State Press Sports on Facebook and follow @statepressport on Twitter.

×